Author Topic: Pact Recovery through base destruction.  (Read 13980 times)

Offline Glorfindead

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Pact Recovery through base destruction.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 12:21:45 am »
I think this should be the result of some kind of unique mission. I always thought pact were signed under threat and mind control, so it would make it impossible to actually willingly nullify the pact.
The special mission would work like a mix of a terror mission and a base attack. basically a big human made Pentagon-like building, with mind controlled politicians inside and one Alien race squad+ one Ethereal. The goal would be to secure the area without killing civilian (who would have the same AI as Chrysallids but no weapon, so they would just try to block you. Also the Aliens don't attack them).
The mission would trigger if you do a lot of activity in the traitorous region, you would receive a message that says that your intel managed to learn the reason behind the pact.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 06:30:08 pm »
that sounds like a nice idea... although perhaps this is too simple? of course it depends on the amount of "activity" you need... maybe this could be made into a kind of mini-campaign (the whole thing would need some kind of scripting anyway, so why not a bit more complicated?):

if certain requirements are met
1) perhaps you need some kind of research prerequisite... psi research should be completed, I guess
2) a certain amount of xcom activity in the country?
3) maybe you need to capture and interrogate an alien from a UFO originating in that country?
4) ...?

then after a while, a special mission pops up: "pick up spy"
kind of like the "recover VIP" missions in XCOM2012: an alien-infested map with a single civilian somewhere - kill all aliens and/or get the civilian into your exit area (aka transport craft), because he/she has gathered intelligence on how the aliens control that country.

if that mission is successful, you obtain the location of the alien/government cooperation facility within the occupied country's borders, which is what you described above.

the complicated part is that however we want to implement something like that, it needs a whole lot of extra mechanics, that allow for scripting or script-like behavior.

Offline Glorfindead

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 11:00:34 pm »
To add difficulty, the loss of the civilians would be hugely punished by a point loss. Like, hugely, mainly because those civilians are the most important people in the country. So the mission could be successful and easily end up with a huge amount of negative points. Think something like -100 per civilian, with a dozen of civilians in the building. I agree with you for the rest, though I haven't played the new one.

Would that be that hard to implement? My knowledge in those kind of things are close to zero.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:12:09 pm by Glorfindead »

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2022, 07:53:55 am »
There is also a different issue here.  What is the exact semantics involved in signing the pact in the first place?  Assuming that I have a total control over skies, how could I prevent that from happening?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2022, 05:00:10 pm »
There is also a different issue here.  What is the exact semantics involved in signing the pact in the first place?  Assuming that I have a total control over skies, how could I prevent that from happening?
In regards to game mechanics? You can't. The infiltration suceeds the moment the second battleship is spawned. You can't prevent that in vanilla.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2022, 09:50:18 am »
If a country decides to ally itself with a foreign superpower, then they will do that. It doesn't matter if you assassinate the ambassador.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2022, 07:06:27 pm »
If a country decides to ally itself with a foreign superpower, then they will do that. It doesn't matter if you assassinate the ambassador.
but if you assassinate government? :>

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2022, 12:17:15 pm »
but if you assassinate government? :>

That's a looooot of work :D