aliens

Author Topic: Cult missions re-enabled?  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Cult missions re-enabled?
« on: July 19, 2022, 01:57:34 pm »
I could have sworn i terminated the black lotus, but after doing so i discovered one of their bases. Fair enough, it probably spawned before terminating. But then their missions (outpost investigation) started popping up after destroying the base. I went to check the research tree, and i guess i didn't terminate them after all...but then i saw an assassination attempt mission from red dawn, and i DID terminate red dawn many months ago, and double checked in the research tree. Is this a bug?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Cult missions re-enabled?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 04:18:37 pm »
And how do you expect anybody to be able to answer that, going just by what you "think" you did or did not do?

You've given us basically no information to go on - no save game, no mention of the mod version or even of the version of OXCE you're using.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 08:09:20 pm »
Mod version 2.5 and OXCE version 7.5.3, which anyone familiar with this problem could ask about, in case it was a known problem that should have been fixed in a recent patch. And like i mentioned in my first message, i don't "think" i terminated the red dawn...i DID terminate them, and i even double checked in the research tree. No information my ass :S

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 08:41:28 pm »
So, are you going to post a save or not? And preferably also say if you've messed with the save or anything else (probably not, but if you want definite answers, you'd better provide full information).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 09:01:10 pm »
I don't know what mission that is, sine "assassination attempt mission from red dawn" doesn't seem to correspond any red Dawn mission I can think of. Sorry.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 09:13:01 pm »
I think it's probably STR_CULT_ASSASSINATION_ZSRR. That could be explained by a manor being left over, but not outposts popping back up again.

Edit: Only Natasha Morozova might pop up that way, and she's neither BL nor multiple outposts.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:17:03 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Rag

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 09:20:52 pm »
I could have sworn i terminated the black lotus, but after doing so i discovered one of their bases. Fair enough, it probably spawned before terminating. But then their missions (outpost investigation) started popping up after destroying the base. I went to check the research tree, and i guess i didn't terminate them after all...but then i saw an assassination attempt mission from red dawn, and i DID terminate red dawn many months ago, and double checked in the research tree. Is this a bug?

By Red Dawn assassination do you mean Natasha Morozova's Hideout? It mentions she is planning an assassination in the mission briefing so this might be what you are referring to? If so this mission triggers regardless of if you have terminated Red Dawn as a one time mission (either you go to it or it expires and won't show up again) as long as you have researched her dossier, there's a similar mission with Black Lotus for Lo Wo's Refuge, again this happens regardless of if Black Lotus is terminated as long as you have researched his dossier.

For Black Lotus there is an extra mission which can spawn only once they are terminated but it is not like the usual Black Lotus missions and the briefing mentions them being terminated so if you see that one after terminating them don't worry about something going wrong.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 06:10:16 pm »
Here's a save file and a red dawn assassination (vip) mission, long time after terminating the red dawn.

PS: No it wasn't any of the dossier missions
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 06:11:49 pm by Foxhound634 »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 06:17:30 pm »
Yeah, this is STR_CULT_ASSASSINATION_ZSRR, a Manor-launched mission. You've got one visible and two invisible Red Dawn Manors still launching missions against you.

I suppose they're kinda like rural warlords now? :P

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 09:35:03 pm »
Oh, i didn't know that some missions were independent of the cult's overarching status. So destroy the manors to stop the missions. But can manors establish new manors?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 09:40:26 pm »
Oh, i didn't know that some missions were independent of the cult's overarching status. So destroy the manors to stop the missions. But can manors establish new manors?
As far as I can tell from the ruleset manors only spawn as long as the cult has not been destroyed.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 09:46:42 pm »
Yeah, AFAICT Manors only spawn when the cult's active, and don't really go away on their own. No idea if it's even technically possible for (cult/alien) bases to become disabled. I suppose you could add an 'upgrade' that basically disables the manor, but AFAIK there's no tech trigger for that.

I think the continuing mission thing is an oversight, since adding 'interruptResearch' should make it possible to stop them from running more.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 12:04:35 pm »
I suppose they're kinda like rural warlords now? :P

Yeah, pretty much. :)

I think the continuing mission thing is an oversight, since adding 'interruptResearch' should make it possible to stop them from running more.

Not an oversight; the base may be isolated, but it's definitely trying to remain relevant.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2022, 12:43:43 pm »
Trying to get into a rematch with the organisation that just demolished your parent org is not trying to remain relevant. It's suicide by cop X-Com.

I sorta dislike the entire lore around how the mansions do their overt missions (a proper shadow war justification would be that they trick the local government into thinking you're some rogue entity or enemy aircraft violating their airspace, not 'dominance'). But, eh, it's pretty clear by now that our visions of how in-game justifications ought to work do not match.

I do like the idea of an early air game in principle. But not the current implementation as weak/easily baited guardians of mansions. I'd much prefer if the mansions also launched visible craft on missions and I could actually mess with those.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 12:49:52 pm by Juku121 »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 01:12:02 pm »
Trying to get into a rematch with the organisation that just demolished your parent org is not trying to remain relevant. It's suicide by cop X-Com.

I sorta dislike the entire lore around how the mansions do their overt missions (a proper shadow war justification would be that they trick the local government into thinking you're some rogue entity or enemy aircraft violating their airspace, not 'dominance'). But, eh, it's pretty clear by now that our visions of how in-game justifications ought to work do not match.

I do like the idea of an early air game in principle. But not the current implementation as weak/easily baited guardians of mansions. I'd much prefer if the mansions also launched visible craft on missions and I could actually mess with those.
Which is why I have simply disabled parts of the mod. Cults are by now definitely overstaying their welcome. You get access/take over military airfields and fighter jets? That's the point where you get carpet-bombed into oblivion. Your silly little hoods aren't going to protect you from missiles coming at you at mach 3 any better than they protect you from regular bullets. Looks like you didn't pray hard enough to your elder god you idiots.