aliens

Author Topic: Chemical illuminator  (Read 2079 times)

Online AndyFox

• Sergeant
  • ÷)
    • View Profile
Chemical illuminator
« on: June 24, 2022, 12:09:34 am »
Greetings!
Is there an explanation why the chemical illuminator is being wasted even if it is not activated?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical illuminator
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 12:20:05 am »
Because you're not playing 2.5.
Quote from: 2.5 changelog
2.5: New missions: MiB Base, MiB Ground Supply. New staff input. New cities: Bratislava, Vilnius, Talinn, Tbilisi, Bishkek, Dushanbe. New countries: Kirgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ethiopia, Uganda, Senegal, Democratic Republic of Congo, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania, Thailand, Vietnam. New agent nationalities: Afghani, Algerian, Australian, Austrian, Azeri, Chilean, Colombian, Ecuadorian, Egyptian, Iraqi, Libyan, Lithuanian, Moroccan, New Zealander, Pakistani, Peruvian, Tunisian, Turkmen, Venezuelan (several name lists provided by LFM). More Cuban names. Better country funding model (by Buscher). Dimension X Expeditions. Chemical Flares can be recovered. Proteans are immune to zombification. Custom desert roads. Cydonia requires space-capable suits. MiB Outpost reworked. Simplified the Moon satellite project. Cult vehicles have white markers. Battleship map 7 fixes. Corrected "Lassa" to "Lhasa". Some country border corrections. Fixed Kigali, Dakar and Nouakchott placement. Fixed a crash on some humans vs. monsters missions. Fixed Golden Academy Towers not spawning in some scenarios. Fixed damage display on some power armors. Muton sprites fix (by Alex_D). Fixed Dimension X ending. Minor fixes (thanks to Emil J. Schroeder).

I assume it was originally an attempt at 'realism', and in the end Solarius discovered that it was not much fun.

Online AndyFox

• Sergeant
  • ÷)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 12:27:13 am »
Yes, now have version 2.2, which have been playing since autumn.

As for realism: even if the chemical reaction proceeds irreversibly, it is logical to destroy the lamp only if it was in use. This is exactly the case with a fire extinguisher.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 12:36:57 am »
Hmmm, I guess you could upgrade, but I faced a similar choice myself and elected to start over.

If you hate the chemical flare expiration badly enough, you can go find
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_CHEMICAL_FLARE
in items_XCOMFILES.rul and change
    recover: false
to
    recover: true

Also, I didn't say I agreed with Solarius' take on chemical flares. I disagree with a lot of his takes on things, actually. :P But it's his mod, so what he says, goes.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 11:36:29 am »
This part was done by Finnik, who was adamant about the flares working like this, and since he has diver experience, I left this to him. But later I decided that unrecoverable flares just don't fit the mod.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 03:44:15 pm »
Hmmm, I guess you could upgrade, but I faced a similar choice myself and elected to start over.

If you hate the chemical flare expiration badly enough, you can go find
  - type: STR_CHEMICAL_FLARE
in items_XCOMFILES.rul and change
    recover: false
to
    recover: true

Also, I didn't say I agreed with Solarius' take on chemical flares. I disagree with a lot of his takes on things, actually. :P But it's his mod, so what he says, goes.

I don't think I had any trouble upgrading a save continuously from 0.9something to now. Solarius adds save breaking stuff very rarely.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 05:09:09 pm »
I did not have technical trouble, Solarius is pretty good at that. I wanted to see the new (or rebalanced) content at appropriate times, not let it just catch up all at once or even go missing.