aliens

Author Topic: How to get advanced lab?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline wawerrewold

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
How to get advanced lab?
« on: June 23, 2022, 02:09:17 pm »
Hello,
right now im in late 2000 and im running in the issue that there is nothing to research. I did a little searching in in xcom files wiki and from what a learned i need advanced lab.and for that i need antimatter containment (or what?) and gravity beam or something like that. Where do i get these things? I already captured some engineers, medics, commanders, i raid multiple hybrid and alien bases but there was nothing new (there is one colony habitated by ethereals and its extremely painful to fight against them so i leave them alone for now) what do i do? Big thanks

Offline Rag

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: How to get advanced lab?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 03:56:52 pm »
I'm not at that point yet so can't speak from experience. But looking at the research needed it seems most of the things can be gotten as a bonus research topic from Engineers / Leaders / Commanders as long as Alien Vocabulary has been researched. While this isn't as efficenent as getting the items themselves it could work as a backup especially if you target the easier races like floaters. As for getting the items themselves, others would need to help with that for which missions can give them.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 06:54:55 pm »
Would be trivial to help you if you uploded the save file in question so one might have a look at what point you are research-wise. Advanced labs has multipel prerequisites.

Offline wawerrewold

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 10:43:50 pm »
Here it is.
I think i basically researched everything that comes before advanced lab or maybe am i missing something?
Also all the stun weapons and grenades seems to be way to weak whats the best way to capture alien without running at him with taser cannons?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 11:30:16 pm »
Spoiler"Here there be spoilers":
The biggest thing that's blocking you is no access to Alien Vocabulary. For that, you need Alien Wave-Field Theory. This can be beaten out of a whole array of different alien engineers and leader types. Sectoids, Floaters and Mutons all work.

Then you need Grav Shield, and for that you need Tractor Beam Generator. This can again be had from the same engineers and leaders, but requires Alien Vocabulary.

Same deal with Grav Module Construction and Alien Gravity Generator.

Finally, you need Anti-Matter Containment. Same as above, but no post-interrogation topic between this and the Advanced Laboratory.
As to capturing aliens, Sectoids go down pretty easily once you get rid of their shields. Floaters are not terribly tough, either.

I've had some good experiences with Stun Spears. You don't seem to have them for some reason.

Taser Cannons are pretty good because they're somewhat armor-piercing. Not much else that agent is going to be doing, though.

There is also no need to use 'pure' stun. Beat them up and then perform the final blow with a stun weapon.

You have Psi-Amps, so going for a few psi-captures towards the end of the mission can work. Not sure what you did with your hybrid defector, though. Wait, you don't have that, either. Your capture&interrogate game could use some improvement. There's a whole bunch of stuff you actually have not researched because of that.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:47:54 pm by Juku121 »

Offline wawerrewold

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 04:28:37 pm »
Honestly i though that those things i can find in bases and crafts i didnt know live aliens and capturing engineers are so important. Thank you for your help
Btw how come i cannog research those stun spears??

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 05:15:17 pm »
Honestly i though that those things i can find in bases and crafts i didnt know live aliens and capturing engineers are so important.
Yeah, XCF is pretty big on captures.

Btw how come i cannog research those stun spears??
Do you actually have a stun spear? It's Dr. Alpha's special weapon that you can appropriate from him and copy for yourself. If you have not seen Dr. Alpha, that's probably another thing you've missed because you're not capturing and interrogating every single motherfucker who crosses your path, several times over. ;D

Thank you for your help
You're welcome. :D