aliens

Author Topic: Is there an easy way to re-research multiple things w/out alot of save edit ?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Sivarous

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
So I tend to play this modpack in short spurts when I am in the mood for Xcom, sometimes long enough between that there is a major update or two. I don't feel like starting fresh each time I feel like some Xcom so I continue the same game, which I know leads to its own problems and missed opportunities one of which is a minor problem I am now wanting to work out.

I was looking through the Data Viewer and only recently noticed I was missing the Alenium Shard you apparently get from the X-COM History: Kiryu-Kai research that was added so many updates ago. I believe I had already gotten the research some time before that update and then skipped ahead a few more when I lost and regained interest, causing difference in research. (I have only now just gotten around to clearing cults by 1999 which shows how slow I am at this game)

I know this is a problem entirely of my own doing by not updated frequently or restarting if needed, and I have messed with the save for this one instance and re-research the tech and it worked out fine.

So far it hasn't been a major problem and I wouldn't have noticed I was missing anything if I hadn't randomly come across it. I am just curious if there are other things I may have missed out on in my long, infrequent campaign and if there was a good way to refresh the research short of editing the save and re-researching everything I have.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Case in point, that's just one way to get an Alenium shard, but it's hardly the only one - just the easiest and (probably) earliest.

Thre is also no point in "re-researching" or "refreshing" topics - topics that have been added and which are unlocked by you having the necessary prerequisites are automatically added after the next progress check (i.e. every 24 hours). You are unlikely to miss out out on anything major, as most items can still be acquired later in the game, but depending on your progress and how you fare in missions others can be locked off for good (i.e. one-time missions and items from said missions for example).

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
So I tend to play this modpack in short spurts when I am in the mood for Xcom, sometimes long enough between that there is a major update or two. I don't feel like starting fresh each time I feel like some Xcom so I continue the same game, which I know leads to its own problems and missed opportunities one of which is a minor problem I am now wanting to work out.

I was looking through the Data Viewer and only recently noticed I was missing the Alenium Shard you apparently get from the X-COM History: Kiryu-Kai research that was added so many updates ago. I believe I had already gotten the research some time before that update and then skipped ahead a few more when I lost and regained interest, causing difference in research. (I have only now just gotten around to clearing cults by 1999 which shows how slow I am at this game)

I know this is a problem entirely of my own doing by not updated frequently or restarting if needed, and I have messed with the save for this one instance and re-research the tech and it worked out fine.

So far it hasn't been a major problem and I wouldn't have noticed I was missing anything if I hadn't randomly come across it. I am just curious if there are other things I may have missed out on in my long, infrequent campaign and if there was a good way to refresh the research short of editing the save and re-researching everything I have.

Don't you get it from an event that is triggered by the Kiryu-kai research? I have also started before the Alenium shard was added and I have 3 shards right now. I have been playing since 0.9 something and I don't remember any savgame breaking changes.