aliens

Author Topic: New alien mission  (Read 4832 times)

Offline SHADO

• Captain
    • View Profile
New alien mission
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:02 pm »
This idea is along the lines of making life a bit more difficult for our poor, harried X-Com Commander.

New alien mission: the feint.  A UFO appears somewhere near your base.  You shoot it down and send your crack team out to take care of business on the ground.  Once your transport is some distance away- BAM!  A battleship or two or six land on your rose bushes and come a-knockin' on your front door.  Shouldn't happen too often but enough to make you think long and hard about how many guys to put on your transport.

This is probably more for a mod than the base game.  And no, I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to implement something like this.

anonilsus

Re: New alien mission
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:53:03 pm »
This might be actually on someones internal todo list because it happened to me by chance recently and I suggested it in IRC.
The effect was devastating. Battleship full or aliens against 4 rookies with standard rifles.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »
this happens already actually, or close enough, i have had to defend the base with 3 rookies once already and several other times the attacks were basically back to back or right after coming back from another mission.

Offline SHADO

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:22 pm »
...The effect was devastating. Battleship full or aliens against 4 rookies with standard rifles.
...i have had to defend the base with 3 rookies once...
Ouch!

I'm at the top of August in my current game and so far only had one base attacked (they wiped out a base I had just started so there wasn't even a battle).  I was expecting more base attacks, so I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right or the aliens are just lousy at base recon.

Anyway, the basis for this suggestion is to make the player stop and think about which and how many troops to send out on missions.  If base attacks don't seem to be much of a real threat (as seems to be the case in my current game), then it just becomes a cram-as-many-guys-as-can-fit-in-the-Skyranger routine.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:41:22 pm »
Ouch!

I'm at the top of August in my current game and so far only had one base attacked (they wiped out a base I had just started so there wasn't even a battle).  I was expecting more base attacks, so I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right or the aliens are just lousy at base recon.

Anyway, the basis for this suggestion is to make the player stop and think about which and how many troops to send out on missions.  If base attacks don't seem to be much of a real threat (as seems to be the case in my current game), then it just becomes a cram-as-many-guys-as-can-fit-in-the-Skyranger routine.

In August with only one base attack!!! what difficulty level are you playing, if i may ask.

I am playing in superhuman, and let me tell you i have had at least 5 base attacks and i think i am only in June, maybe May.

The aggressiveness of the AI is good, but they do seem to try to catch you off guard, like i said in the previous post i had to defend a base with 3 rookies and i actually lost that battle (but due to a bug didn't lose the game)

It would be nice to make the player think a little harder, what if when my main squad is out i get attacked? to make sure you have at least a decent squad to defend the base.

Offline SHADO

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 12:23:22 pm »
I'm on "Genius"- was too chicken to go "Superhuman" on this go-round  :-[

I just downed two large scouts and a supply ship, so I have all three of my Skyrangers on the move.  Keeping in mind what happened to you and anonilsus, I just have my fingers crossed.