aliens

Author Topic: Static Libraries for the sub folders.  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Skybuck

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Static Libraries for the sub folders.
« on: May 19, 2022, 02:53:40 pm »
To save compile time it could be interesting to make "static libraries" for each "sub" folder.

For example:

"ufopaedia"
"savegame"
"geoscape"

etc.

It would be even cooler if the static library source code could still be modified, and files are only rebuild when necessary.

Currently I like making lot's of worktrees and the annoying part is visual studio 2019 seems to like to re-build all files, even if I copy the bin and obj folder.

I am guessing visual studio compares the source files date/time to the obj/exe date time and simply re-compiles ? I have no time to look into how to configure visual studio so that it doesn't do this ? Or maybe it's some kind of visual studio problem ?

Now if it were only a one time time-fee to pay then it would be somewhat acceptable, however I have seen visual studio re-compile pbrt static library as well, only when I just included it into the math example of microsoft, so strange stuff going on and a lot of time wasted on re-compiling :(.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Static Libraries for the sub folders.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 03:25:21 pm »
This will not work at all, every file depend on each other, there are headers files that when you change it it will require to recompile 70% of files.