aliens

Author Topic: Wierd names in the new version  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Wierd names in the new version
« on: May 17, 2022, 05:24:17 am »
I just installed the newest version, and for some reason I've been getting names that don't show up in the Agent Names list for their nationality, and some that have non-letter characters in them. For instance, one of my starting characters is a  Mexican guy named "Faysal Abdullah?" (his name has the question mark in it)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 05:30:16 am by Marrik »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Wierd names in the new version
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 11:48:05 am »
I just installed the newest version, and for some reason I've been getting names that don't show up in the Agent Names list for their nationality, and some that have non-letter characters in them. For instance, one of my starting characters is a  Mexican guy named "Faysal Abdullah?" (his name has the question mark in it)

The number of agent nationalities changed, so the flags on your agents got desynced (can be fixed by clicking on them). New recruits should be OK.

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 11:23:06 pm »
All the new recruits are desynced as well, it seems. Not that big of a deal.

Also, I noticed that the flag "space" between Vietnam and Afghanistan is blank. Does that have something to do with it being desynced?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11:29:51 pm by Marrik »

Offline BMANH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 07:33:04 pm »
Seconded, it's desynced from the start for me too

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 09:08:18 pm »
Hmm, sounds like a bug. I'll check soonish, my PC is temporarily out of order.

Offline Ostrich-Hungry

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 01:24:05 am »
Hi! I made a submod improving the quality and quantity of agent's names. I made an special version for the 2.5 release, it's a temporal fix for the "weird names"

link: https://openxcom.mod.io/x-com-files-names

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 04:22:39 pm »
I made some tests, checked several freshly generated agents - no problem found.

Hi! I made a submod improving the quality and quantity of agent's names. I made an special version for the 2.5 release, it's a temporal fix for the "weird names"

Thanks, I'll have a look.
If I like the results, would you be OK with you if I incorporate some or all of it to the main mod? (With credits, of course.)

EDIT: Problem found and fixed. Thanks, Ostrich.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 05:02:28 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Ostrich-Hungry

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 05:50:33 pm »
If I like the results, would you be OK with you if I incorporate some or all of it to the main mod? (With credits, of course.)

It would be a pleasure! It was the main idea, after all. Please, feel free to incorporate it whatever you like. Nevertheless, I would like to keep working my submod independently for any circumstance (like this problem, or the ability to update it with minor changes.)
Would you like to feature it as you do with the Resound mod? It may be easier for us both to work like that. But either way, it's up to you Solarius.
I appreciate your consideration.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 08:16:03 pm »
It would be a pleasure! It was the main idea, after all. Please, feel free to incorporate it whatever you like. Nevertheless, I would like to keep working my submod independently for any circumstance (like this problem, or the ability to update it with minor changes.)
Would you like to feature it as you do with the Resound mod? It may be easier for us both to work like that. But either way, it's up to you Solarius.
I appreciate your consideration.

I am kinda away and will check your mod in a few days. But if I like it, why not incorporate it, if you are fine with it? It does not impact the gameplay, it's not controversial in any way, so why not just make it official?

Stay tuned :)

Offline Ostrich-Hungry

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 04:49:58 am »
I am kinda away and will check your mod in a few days. But if I like it, why not incorporate it, if you are fine with it? It does not impact the gameplay, it's not controversial in any way, so why not just make it official?

Stay tuned :)

Well, I'm worried about the timing between updates. I do this as a personal hobby, I like the feeling of doing something right. When I look at a random name that I KNOW it's some random gibberish I lost the immersion and it starts looking like a placeholder rather than an identity (which it technically is) I may see some article about grammar or cultural details and the first thing I think of is if it's implemented in the mod.

That is my own level of detail. I change it constantly, sometimes overruling previous changes. I do not want anything from my work feeling out of place, especially if it involves the work of other people (like yours, one I admire and enjoy.)

We could talk this, that is for sure. But right now, some nations are kinda on the "wip" stage. For now, I'm 100% sure that working as a submod is the best outcome. At least, for now.
You can use my namelist as you like! But like I said, Lithuanian (the example I put on the other post) is far from finished. I'm busy too right now, but I work on it from time to time.

Let's keep in touch!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 09:41:04 am »
Sure, understood. I can wait until you are comfortable with the results.

Let's get back to this later!

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 08:11:33 am »

It doesn't work as far as fixing the desyncs, unfortunately.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 10:59:57 am »

You can try the GitHub version of the X-Com Files: https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

Offline Ostrich-Hungry

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2022, 02:27:02 am »

Desyncs previous to mod's activation will stay that way. Can't do anything about it!

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2022, 03:50:26 am »
Desyncs previous to mod's activation will stay that way. Can't do anything about it!

I started a new game with the mod and recruited more people, and the names were still desynced. The mod adds new names, but it doesn't fix the desyncing issue.