Author Topic: Purchase/Recruit screen  (Read 3961 times)

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
Purchase/Recruit screen
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:41:44 pm »
I posted a small change to hide items in the Purchase/Recruit screen. It read values from the Options.cg file and required changes to options.h etc. It was OK so far as it went but was not much better than zeroing out the item in the rules file.

Warboy suggested being able to e.g. ctrl-click and the item disappears, with some other combination or button to restore them all. This would be a big improvement. It prompted me to post here and get suggestions.

I'm thinking about adding "arrow" buttons (like on the equip-soldier screen), when you click that button the item goes to the bottom and maybe turns a different color. This way you can shove unwanted or rarely-wanted items to the bottom of the list. This would get saved as part of the game, so you can keep old tech in the usual places for early games.

This is a good bit of work for a small improvement, but sliding through ancient techs on the purchase page has always bugged me. I'll take the best suggestion and give it a shot.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Purchase/Recruit screen
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:22:45 pm »
Alternatively, you could categorise the items in the purchase and sell screens into a tree, and then use + and - buttons to show and hide categories, eg. personnel, crafts, craft weapons, (with a sub-category for craft ammunition) ordinance, (which could be sub-categorised into conventional, advanced and alien, with appropriate sub-sub-categories for ammunition) grenades, construction materials, (ie. UFO parts, alien alloys, and Elerium) and corpses. That allows hide/show behaviour while still following the same logical categories as the default ordering.

That could be overkill for the purchase screen, but I can see it being very useful for the sell and transfer screens.

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:43:21 pm »
I don't think I will be able to create a treeview widget, but how about something like this (see attach).

The general idea is that if you click the new down arrow, the item drops to the bottom of the list and gets an up-arrow. If you click the up-arrow the item is restored to its regular place in the list. This way, in the late game you can get rid of scientists, crafts, and obsolete weapons from cluttering your view.

This screenshot is taken from my running, hacked OpenXcom, still needs some work, but if the idea is endorsed by SupSuper I'll complete it.

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 04:41:07 pm »
I see that Warboy accepted the simpler suggestion of having a list of exclusions in an ini file - thanks for that! So, this suggestion is closed.