Author Topic: Updating the game to 2.4 - error?  (Read 3479 times)

Offline DELETEACCOUNT

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Updating the game to 2.4 - error?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 10:56:53 am »
"you don't have the Moon Flight researched,"

Interesting - my old save didn't have that as a research option (even though I had already been to the moon and done a mission there - saving a base from space nazis?) But as you say, it's now one of the options in the new save. So maybe it just turns out my old save was impossible to complete because that option never appeared?

Anyway, I did that research (which now says I can send Lightnings to the moon, even though I did that a few months ago!); then I did another new one about Alien Flight Maps that had appeared, and it now finally let me research a lunar launching facility, which is in the process of being built. I finally feel like I am making progress again!

In fact, it's kind of fun having new messages pop up that are from the start of the game, but obviously weren't created yet in the version I was playing before. Reminds me how far I have come. And the OXCE engine is so much better 0 at last, I can see if someone si encumbered from the loadout screens! I used ot have to guess based on strength, then drop items after the mission began if it was too heavy. Now I know in advance! Also the auto-sell items is now active, I used to have to manually do it after every mission. The other OXCE chaneg is ambient sound effects during battles. Fun, though the bird sounds keep confusing my cat.

So it looks like I'll finally be able to complete the game on this new save, with the latest versions of the mod. :-)

I am still getting STR_ADVENT craft buzzing around though.

"STR_ADVENT no longer exists; it must be a very old save. I recommend removing it from the save."

How do I do that? It's probably worth me doing, so they don't generate a base assault at the start of a month, and put me into an irretrievable crash situation.

Thanks!

Offline DELETEACCOUNT

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2022, 10:58:18 am »
Latest save attached.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 03:59:56 pm »
Try this - I forwarded to the next month without incident.

Offline DELETEACCOUNT

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2022, 05:41:30 pm »
Many thanks! I'll give it a go later when I next boot into Windows.

This game has entertained me for over a year! And before that I was obsessed with X-Pirates. In both cases, if I lost the game, I started a new one (even though sometimes that meant months of play down the drain). Both are a significant challenge, but X-COM Files is perhaps more difficult due to the invasion date in 1999, and the sanity mechanic which makes some long missions really hard. But it has been fun, and each week (real time) something surprising and new will occur. It's bizarre that I first played UFO on my Amiga 1200 and then moved on to the PC version on my first PC (a 486) yet still play the game now! I doubt if I could ever play the base campaign again, but in depth mods like this make it all fresh. It's funny - I have a new PC with a GTX 3060 Ti, and yet I mostly play X-COM mods and my C64/Spectrum/Amiga emulators! The graphics power is mostly just used for 3D rendering.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 02:02:31 pm »
Thank you! And Amiga rulez. 8)