Author Topic: OXCE docker container  (Read 1537 times)

Offline pedroterzero

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
OXCE docker container
« on: February 10, 2022, 04:50:45 pm »
I placed my instructions to 'build' and use an OXCE docker container here: https://github.com/pedroterzero/oxce-docker

If I get permission, I could publish the built images to docker hub so any interested end user can skip the 'build' stage.

I have tested this on Ubuntu 20.04, the container itself is Ubuntu 18.04. It seems to work perfectly.

If one has docker installed this allows to run OXCE with just a few commands and no extra dependencies on the machine.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OXCE docker container
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 04:56:42 pm »
I placed my instructions to 'build' and use an OXCE docker container here: https://github.com/pedroterzero/oxce-docker

If I get permission, I could publish the built images to docker hub so any interested end user can skip the 'build' stage.

I have tested this on Ubuntu 20.04, the container itself is Ubuntu 18.04. It seems to work perfectly.

If one has docker installed this allows to run OXCE with just a few commands and no extra dependencies on the machine.

permission given

Offline pedroterzero

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 05:22:11 pm »
permission given

Thank you! I published the image and it (and its instructions) can now be found here https://hub.docker.com/r/pedroterzero/oxce

I'll try to keep this updated with every new OXCE build, it should only take 1-2 minutes to create a new image. The most limiting factor is probably my awareness of when a new version gets published ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 05:45:19 pm by Meridian »

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 05:38:49 pm »
dear pedroterzero, thanks for your willingness! But it needs docker to be installed to run? Please could you explain? Would't be better to build an appimage?

Offline pedroterzero

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 05:49:22 pm »
dear pedroterzero, thanks for your willingness! But it needs docker to be installed to run? Please could you explain? Would't be better to build an appimage?

That's a good point, and I did consider this, but I work with docker daily and I've never used AppImage myself. It's [my choice of docker] kind of based on my own usage patterns ;)

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 05:57:52 pm »
That's a good point, and I did consider this, but I work with docker daily and I've never used AppImage myself. It's [my choice of docker] kind of based on my own usage patterns ;)

oh ok, just checked internet and it requires docker to be installed...while it is more simple to update builds on the other hand i thought appimage was kinda more immediate for the casual user/gamer because it''s an onee-click thing, but it needs every single image to be build manually... if i got  right :)