aliens

Author Topic: MagicaVoxel software tool for creating voxel graphics !  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Skybuck

• Colonel
    • View Profile
MagicaVoxel software tool for creating voxel graphics !
« on: March 12, 2022, 11:20:11 am »
I happen to come across this tool called: "MagicaVoxel" it some kind of software to create voxel graphics !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPPFnHQWwFk&list=FLhION43ShzHBtuZdHBz-LJg&index=1

(Currently it probably won't be of use for me to try out because of broken 3D laptop chip, but for some of you this could be interesting or few me later this year when I hopefully, finally buy a new computer)

It also seems this tool uses an documented format for voxel storage. So if we ever want to re-create XCom in high-resolution graphics or perhaps create even more graphics, this tool might come in handy.

It seems a little bit complex but also powerfull, I cannot 100% vouche for it, but it's very interesting to give it a try.

I hope this tool will be used by some of you to create great new stuff for this game ! =D

Also another reason to use this tool and these kinds of graphics is because they are TRUE 3D... and that means more is possible, graphically, like shadows and lightning/raytracing etc.

The benefit of this though is automatic 3D hit boxes I guess... Alternatively this tool could maybe also be used to create hit boxes/voxel boxes where some might be missing in the game to prepare for more advanced per pixel rendering ! ;)

Another adventage of "3d sprites" is only need to be drawn once. The software can automatically rotate the sprite to show different angles, thus more time can be spend on improving the sprites or animatie them.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:58:36 pm by Skybuck »