Author Topic: Some questions about crediting  (Read 1506 times)

Offline GrzechuAdw

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Some questions about crediting
« on: February 15, 2022, 12:32:49 pm »
Hi. I started making my mod somewhere around 2019, lurked around the forums and played/checked out other mods to see what can be done in OpenXcom. Due to some real life stuff I stopped all work until recently and coming back I decided that if I ever was to release my mod I would need to figure out proper credits for all the stuff I incorporated/used for my mod, before continuing to work on it.

So here are a couple questions:
1. Are there any good ways to figure out original authors of sprites taken from other mods?
    (Looking through various forum threads and mod credits is sometimes not enough)

2. What is general etiquette about using other peoples work? Is crediting enough or should I ask for specific permissions.

3. Are there any authors, other than Hobbes, who specifically don't want their work (or parts of it) to be used?
    (I would have to check my mod for other things to remove)

4. Are there any restrictions or copyright issues with using artworks or concept art for research/briefing pictures?
    (For example new xcom games concept art or random stuff from the Internet)

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about crediting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 01:50:41 pm »
These are just my opinion, but I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge:

(1.)
Both the mods The X-Com Files & Final Mod Pack keep a list of credits inside text files in the mod's folder that may help you identify a few authors:
Final Mod Pack = FinalModPack_readme.txt
The X-Com Files = X-Com_Files_readme.txt

The "Old Mod Portal Archive" is also another good place to look as many commonly used files can be found in their original release there.

(2.)
If the author has mentioned the resources are free to use then crediting them is usually enough.

It never hurts to ask though.

(3.)
Aside from Hobbes I am not aware of any who have specifically stated it.

Some mods include a licence like CanadianBeaver's Awesome Guns mod that was released using the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0.

Best to check the mods forum post and internal files to see if you can find anything similar to that.

I think pretty much anything you find in the 'Resources' section of the OpenXcom forum is usually fair game.
(Again, it never hurts to ask the person who uploaded it.)

(4.)
That's between you and the rights holders.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 02:05:38 pm by The Martian »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 02:59:34 pm »
So here are a couple questions:
1. Are there any good ways to figure out original authors of sprites taken from other mods?
    (Looking through various forum threads and mod credits is sometimes not enough)

Sprites are the hardest to credit because of the changes they go through. It can be easier if you credit instead the specific mod craft, units, weapons, etc.

2. What is general etiquette about using other peoples work? Is crediting enough or should I ask for specific permissions.

If there's a open source license (Creative Commons, GNU GPL, other) then you don't need to ask for permission (it's always nice to drop a line to the author though).

If there's no license, then by default is that work is copyrighted and you should ask for permissions.

3. Are there any authors, other than Hobbes, who specifically don't want their work (or parts of it) to be used?
    (I would have to check my mod for other things to remove)

That was the past before I started assigning open source licenses.

Regarding XCOM Terrain Pack anyone can use it as much as you want, just remember to credit and to make your adaptations also available to others (as per the Shared Alike condition of its license).

Regarding Terminator: Tech-Comm, don't use any of its assets since it's in development (the No Derivatives condition of its license).

4. Are there any restrictions or copyright issues with using artworks or concept art for research/briefing pictures?
    (For example new xcom games concept art or random stuff from the Internet)

Everything available in the internet has copyright in one way or another.

If it has an open source license, then you're good as long as you follow the license's terms.

If it does not have it, then either you ask the author for permission, or you risk at one point to get a 'cease and desist' letter.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 03:02:48 pm by Hobbes »

Offline GrzechuAdw

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 12:27:05 pm »
Thank you for quick responses.
I guess now I have to take a second look at credit files and change logs (I just noticed that those also have some authors in them), and then send couple people some DM's asking for permissions.