Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Ability to hide Pedia articles (by players)  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Buscher

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[DONE][Suggestion] Ability to hide Pedia articles (by players)
« on: February 13, 2022, 02:56:45 pm »
Playing a mod with a lot of clutter such as XCF or any other mod with huge amounts of contents it would be helpful for comparing items/armors/etc. if a 'hidden' flag for Ufopaedia articles would be introduced. Right now when looking through the ufopaedia one has to click through many possibly obsoleted articles. Also when trying to compare two specific, the articles inbetween could be hidden so you don't have to click x times the next/previous buttons due to how the listOrder is set up.
This feature would help me to clean up the Ufopaedia so only items are displayed that I actually use and it would be easier to compare items with each other.

Similar to hidden manufacture projects a right click would turn the Ufopaedia article from 'new' over 'read' to 'hidden'. Hidden articles would be skipped when pressing the next or previous button. If no next or previous unhidden article is found, the game will stay at the current article. The "show only new" button will probably become a listbox similar to the one in the manufacture screen. The ufopaedia in the battlescape would be unaffected and/or middle clicking in battle ignores the hidden flag. Ufopaedia articles with multiple pages would be treated as one.

Thanks for reading and possible consideration

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Add 'hidden' flag to Ufopaedia Articles
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 11:35:02 am »
Todolisted, but with a low priority.
(I don't consider uncluttering things with a lot of clutter my responsibility... in fact each time I lower the pain threshold, I just enable more clutter to be added... it's a never-ending vicious cycle)

Btw. what should happen when a hidden article is opened directly, i.e. by a middle click?
And what should happen when you then press the Next button once and the Previous button once?

Offline Buscher

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Add 'hidden' flag to Ufopaedia Articles
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 07:24:23 pm »
Todolisted, but with a low priority.
(I don't consider uncluttering things with a lot of clutter my responsibility... in fact each time I lower the pain threshold, I just enable more clutter to be added... it's a never-ending vicious cycle)

Yes, I can imagine that never ending story being a thing. No worries about the low priority.

Btw. what should happen when a hidden article is opened directly, i.e. by a middle click?
And what should happen when you then press the Next button once and the Previous button once?

The middle mouse click, be it either in the items list (f. ex. craft item inventory) or visible as a bigob in battle, the article should show up as normal.
The second question is really good. Intuitively I would expect that the hidden article will be shown again. Of course that means you would have to remember which article you have opened with middle mouse click, which is probably an additional pain.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Ability to hide Pedia articles (by players)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 04:02:45 pm »
The second question is really good. Intuitively I would expect that the hidden article will be shown again. Of course that means you would have to remember which article you have opened with middle mouse click, which is probably an additional pain.

That would indeed be quite painful.

I think the least painful (code-wise) and fairly useful alternative would be to browse non-hidden articles only when starting from a non-hidden article; and hidden articles only when starting from a hidden article.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [DONE][Suggestion] Ability to hide Pedia articles (by players)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 04:21:20 pm »
Similar to hidden manufacture projects a right click would turn the Ufopaedia article from 'new' over 'read' to 'hidden'. Hidden articles would be skipped when pressing the next or previous button. If no next or previous unhidden article is found, the game will stay at the current article. The "show only new" button will probably become a listbox similar to the one in the manufacture screen. The ufopaedia in the battlescape would be unaffected and/or middle clicking in battle ignores the hidden flag. Ufopaedia articles with multiple pages would be treated as one.

Done.

Main commit: https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/8b1fea966726c81f11d1626a05cce260b318e0b4

Previous/Next handling (to be reviewed during gameplay): https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/6bfa0dc7eb80e51480a2d453211b8b0328233970
- if a hidden article is open, no browsing
- if a normal article is open, skip hidden articles while browsing

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 05:31:10 pm »
Offtopic, but still: is there an option to remove the sort button in Uforedia, the list of soldiers and everywhere else? I just don’t use these sortings and the sorting buttons just get in the way.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 06:21:52 pm »
Currently there is no such option.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 03:10:46 pm »
If you hide an article, and then turn the feature off, there is no in-game way to see the articles you've hidden, so you can shoot yourself in the foot. Maybe this feature should be extended so that if the hiding feature is disabled, OXCE would also show the previously hidden articles by default? This would likely be only a minor implementation effort.

This was triggered by a problem report here:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=4595.msg162603#msg162603

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 03:26:53 pm »
If you hide an article, and then turn the feature off, there is no in-game way to see the articles you've hidden, so you can shoot yourself in the foot.

In my opinion, the correct in-game way to see the articles is to enable the option again.
(and unhide the articles if desired)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 04:42:09 pm »
In my opinion, the correct in-game way to see the articles is to enable the option again.
(and unhide the articles if desired)

That is a fair opinion, given that this is essentially a user problem (though perhaps not a very obvious one - the users might not realize how testing/toggling various OXCE options might affect your gameplay and could essentially even block them if you don't use the options in a consistent manner). I brought this up in case the if the engine should be more helpful in case the users fumble.