Author Topic: Save file hacking help to beat a base defence mission please.  (Read 2096 times)

Offline LeprosySalesman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Save file hacking help to beat a base defence mission please.
« on: January 28, 2022, 08:48:27 am »
Hi, I messed up and forgot to put any guns in my psychic-training base. I would like to know how to do any of the following: (Ironman)
Spawn in items in certain locations on the mission map,
Spawn in some tanks,
Kill all enemies on a level,
Force end a mission (with a positive outcome).
I am in the save files now and have read the UFOpaedia article.
Thank you

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Save file hacking help to beat a base defence mission please.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 09:24:48 am »
hi and welcome

1/ change debug: false to debug: true in options.cfg; activate debug mode (ctrl+D), kill all enemies (ctrl+K)

2/ better option... be a(n) (iron)man and lose the base

3/ even better option... stop playing ironman, the devs and the modders will be immensely grateful

PS: adding items and units is theoretically possible, but not easy

Offline LeprosySalesman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 10:22:20 am »
Thanks Meridian, that's much easier than I thought it would be. I would usually just take the L but on this occasion this would amount to losing the game and I can't be bothered restarting the playthrough over one admin mistake like this.
Appreciate your help
Out of curiosity, what is the problem with Ironman?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 11:01:36 am »
Out of curiosity, what is the problem with Ironman?

1/ people are not happy about something and ask us to help them change the save... just like you... wastes our time

2/ the game is not without bugs, even game breaking bugs... from time to time, people experience it and can't continue... which again either wastes our time when they ask for help or worse damages our reputation

3/ even if the bug is not game breaking, we usually need a save BEFORE the bug occurs to identify it and fix it... when playing ironman, you (most of the time) can't provide such a save... which both wastes our time (because you report it anyway) and usually also wastes the opportunity to fix a bug (because we can't reproduce it)

4/ modded games have orders of magnitude more bugs than vanilla... all 3 points above apply to modded games even more... this time wasting not only dev time, but also modder time

5/ mods update relatively often, players usually update with them... risking the loss of the save without having a backup... again wasting everybody's time and reputation