Author Topic: What is the benefit of Olympians?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline cptMikky

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
What is the benefit of Olympians?
« on: December 15, 2021, 02:24:00 pm »
Hi everyone!

There's not much about Olympians in the paedia page, just that they are somehow "better".

The only apparent thing is they lose 10 BRV on transformation, but nothing else is explicit.

So far I was able to spot only three differences:

1. they can "see" through walls at about 5 tile distance
2. they get +10 TUs when wearing a flying armor
3. they can train PSK above 50

What more is there?

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What is the benefit of Olympians?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 09:45:20 pm »
IDK, all three of those sound pretty damn worthwhile.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 07:34:17 pm »
4. They can fly without equipment.

Offline cptMikky

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 09:48:19 pm »
4. They can fly without equipment.

right, that, too. This feature, however, is rather nullified by the fact that by the time X-Com has Olympians, it most likely has all the fancy flying suits as well which are better in pretty much every stat than their non-flying cousins. How about instead of implicit flying ability, the Olympians would have, say, +15 armor?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 11:09:50 am »
right, that, too. This feature, however, is rather nullified by the fact that by the time X-Com has Olympians, it most likely has all the fancy flying suits as well which are better in pretty much every stat than their non-flying cousins.

That's true, unless you are doing infiltration missions. It probably isn't very impactful, I'm just clarifying.

How about instead of implicit flying ability, the Olympians would have, say, +15 armor?

But that's what Helix Psions get. Poor hybrids can never compete with humanity... :(

To leave something to the hybrids, best I can do here is 5 armour. What do you think?

Offline cptMikky

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 05:15:55 pm »
That's true, unless you are doing infiltration missions. It probably isn't very impactful, I'm just clarifying.

Right. At this point in the game I have no (interesting) infiltration missions anymore so kinda forgot about that. Thinking about that the armor, at least for me, would be better then flying in those missions anyway.

To leave something to the hybrids, best I can do here is 5 armour. What do you think?

Sounds good enough :) I don't have any Helix Psions yet, started with Hybrids quite late into the game so I have yet to figure out their full potential.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 04:57:29 pm »
Sounds good enough :) I don't have any Helix Psions yet, started with Hybrids quite late into the game so I have yet to figure out their full potential.

I'll think about it... But I just recalled that another late transformation (cyborg) is supposed to have an armour bonus too, so the situation is getting a little tight. If Olympians really need a boost, I'd rather do something else.