aliens

Author Topic: OpenXcom on older OS X system  (Read 1684 times)

Offline wthhndshld

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
OpenXcom on older OS X system
« on: November 09, 2021, 07:14:36 pm »
Hello
I'm using an old mac laptop running OS X 10.10.5 and would like to try OpenXcom. I've run UFO through DOSBox in the past. I had the itch to return to the game and came across all the work done with OpenXcom and so it would be nice to try it out for the new run through.

I've downloaded the latest version, 7.1.4 and copied the UFO files to the UFO folder within the app but I'm getting an 'openxcom quit unexpectedly' box pop up on startup. I know I'm running quite an old version of OS X and can see that the download indicates that the latest version is for 10.13+. That will be the problem most likely. I've tried the oldest version I can download, 6.2, and get the same error message.

Is there an older version of OpenXcom that I can download that will be compatible with my OS?

Thank you for reading and any help you can offer.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom on older OS X system
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 08:53:22 pm »
Honestly, I'm not sure why I wrote that 10.13+ is needed.
There probably is a reason, but I just don't remember.

The SDK used to create the download version is actually from 10.9, so in theory it should work.
If you're capable of compiling yourself, you might want to try: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7048.msg111477.html#msg111477

If not, the oldest version I have in backups is v5.4.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12V4OKc_xB75sWPx5Wt2m0qOn9I-Y0uBA/view?usp=sharing

Offline wthhndshld

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom on older OS X system
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 09:39:00 pm »
Thank for your reply.
Compiling is not something I have any experience with, so I'd have to spend some time working it out.
I've tried the download of v5.4.1 and that works!

The sounds and the interface are so distinctive.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.