aliens

Author Topic: No Advent in 1.91  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Goth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
No Advent in 1.91
« on: September 30, 2021, 06:25:29 pm »
 Its now june 2001 and Advent havent appeared yet. I am getting lots of UFOs per day but hardly any Hybrid missions per month. Have I missed something?

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
Re: No Advent in 1.91
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 08:30:25 pm »
X-Com managed to eliminate ADVENT forces, tho you should still get some Hybrid missions.

Offline Goth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 08:51:07 pm »
Thats such a shame . I liked Advent

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 01:48:58 pm »
...Advent havent appeared yet.

X-Com managed to eliminate ADVENT forces..

how did Xcom do that, if Advent never appeared? Writing this, because i have the same problem: nearly end of 2000 and no Advent and no Hybrid clinics at all. Did Solarius rearrange/remove something? i destroyed the Syndicate HQ though, which has this Impersonatron as prereq.
Also: all Hybrids arook the same. Are there important Hybrid subtypes at farms, convoys, chemtrail sites?

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 07:32:39 pm »
Thats such a shame . I liked Advent

Thank you  :) See the very in upcoming From the Ashes project!  ;)

Offline Goth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 01:26:24 pm »
Is there a way I can put Advent back in(just for myself really) or have all the files been altered to remove them completely as opposed to just firing
 Edit. I have checked the file ' Alien Missions' in ruleset and the Advent Clinics are still there. how do I get the missions to fire?

Many thanks
             Goth
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:34:17 pm by Goth »

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 05:02:14 pm »
Files are there only for backwards capability, to not break people's save files. This content was removed for reasons, I don't think you can enable it without intense modding.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 10:15:07 pm »
ADVENT just didn't fit logically into the X-Com Files lore, despite many attempts over like two years. The upcoming From the Ashes mod by Finnik will indeed be more appropriate for them.

Still, I might expand the hybrid arc in the future anyway. But it wouldn't be strictly ADVENT.

Offline Goth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 01:26:45 pm »
Thats fair. But if ever you feel like adding the clinic missions back in as stand alone missions I woul be very happy.I miss those misssions ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 02:49:31 pm »
Thats fair. But if ever you feel like adding the clinic missions back in as stand alone missions I woul be very happy.I miss those misssions ;)

I'm planning to make some more MiB missions, so I'll try to at least get some inspiration from the Hybrid Clinic :)

Offline FireStarTracer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 06:37:00 pm »
ADVENT wouldn't work because it would have to substitute the existing governmental structure that formed X-Com to begin with (it would be hard to see ADVENT maintaining X-com if it controlled the world!) so there indeed would be no way to include the 'actual' ADVENT as depicted. 

You could have an organization like ADVENT perhaps.  Say ADVENT is sort of the opposite of X-Com and the Council -  the 'public' representative of nations that signed deals with the Aliens.  It could come into being after a certain number of nations leave.   They could become adversaries X-Com faced (they might have their own army and gear supplied by the aliens, they could collect funding the same way X-com does, etc.)   From the 'Alien/ADVENT' pov they might be considered a counter-terrorism force or something similar.     Maybe there would be a small chance of some missions having ADVENT show up instead of the intended force (like Zombies sometimes do) or perhaps they might launch random base attacks or efforts to disrupt X-com efforts.

And in theory if you had enough nations abandon you you would have an X-Com that in a sense operates as a rogue agency (minus your own mobile base).   
Part of me thinks it would be kind of interesting that an X-Com could still survive/function as a 'guerilla/terrorist' organization even if most/all of its funding left.   But another part of me thinks this starts borrowing more ideas from X-Piratez and I'm not sure how you could avoid that.   And of course it does involve more time and effort for someone. 

So you could say it might be done, but I could still see an argument that even that could fall under 'doesn't fit with X-Com Files since its more X-Piratez.'

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 07:09:30 pm »
ADVENT wouldn't work because it would have to substitute the existing governmental structure that formed X-Com to begin with (it would be hard to see ADVENT maintaining X-com if it controlled the world!) so there indeed would be no way to include the 'actual' ADVENT as depicted. 

You could have an organization like ADVENT perhaps.  Say ADVENT is sort of the opposite of X-Com and the Council -  the 'public' representative of nations that signed deals with the Aliens.  It could come into being after a certain number of nations leave.   They could become adversaries X-Com faced (they might have their own army and gear supplied by the aliens, they could collect funding the same way X-com does, etc.)   From the 'Alien/ADVENT' pov they might be considered a counter-terrorism force or something similar.     Maybe there would be a small chance of some missions having ADVENT show up instead of the intended force (like Zombies sometimes do) or perhaps they might launch random base attacks or efforts to disrupt X-com efforts.

And in theory if you had enough nations abandon you you would have an X-Com that in a sense operates as a rogue agency (minus your own mobile base).   
Part of me thinks it would be kind of interesting that an X-Com could still survive/function as a 'guerilla/terrorist' organization even if most/all of its funding left.   But another part of me thinks this starts borrowing more ideas from X-Piratez and I'm not sure how you could avoid that.   And of course it does involve more time and effort for someone. 

So you could say it might be done, but I could still see an argument that even that could fall under 'doesn't fit with X-Com Files since its more X-Piratez.'

But this is pretty much what the MiBs are. They are rather underused right now, and I'm working on that, but we don't need to duplicate their role.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 04:09:08 pm »
Indeed, basically every niche that ADVENT could fit is already filled with some other organisation.

If there is a strong need to have something that you can call "ADVENT", just because it exists in nuXCOM, then maybe there is something that can be done with few ideas.
One of those is ADVENT acting like yet another separate alien race that appears in later stage of the invasion building bases, raiding towns and flying ships.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 02:50:01 am »
I kinda liked the ADVENT guys as mostly-human thugs of the Hybrid org. Not as their own thing as in nuCOM, but kinda like a Hybrid version of the Floater. :)

This sort of gels with UFO lore, too, having outright aliens, hybrids who can't really bear close scrutiny, and then some guys who are a just bit off. Tend to wear sunglasses and face cover, belong to shady pseudo-governmental organisations, stomp on journalists who are too nosy, get sacrificed when the chips are down.

I know that Solarius is moving away from classic alien lore, though.

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 12:29:25 pm »
But that is MiB in X-Com Files ;)