Author Topic: Projectiles often going through middle of enemy and missing  (Read 1924 times)

Offline cptelerium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Projectiles often going through middle of enemy and missing
« on: September 21, 2021, 01:12:08 am »
E.g. now with laser riffle shooting at floater.

Solider was 1 tile away from floater (soldier was right-bottom from him), had accuracy around 70, fired auto riffle, 3 rounds visually were going exactly through middle of the enemy (on ground level, in first room of abductor afair) but not hitting.

This happened several times, including like 2 times in this game.

Why this happens like that? it looks as if "bounding box had a hole in the middle" so if that is intentional then perhaps visual should be somehow fixed? anyway why original does it (if it does).

this also happened at long range (around 1 screen of range) and still went exactly through him.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Projectiles often going through middle of enemy and missing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 10:47:30 am »
Answer is simple.

It didn't go through him in 3D, it just looked like it when rendered in 2D.

I've answered this already several times, it was never a bug.
(I've even traced the bullet voxel by voxel several times, everything adds up.)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 10:27:23 pm »
This only happens to me when trying a diagonal shot. Other than that, just chalk it up to your soldier having a bad day.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 05:56:08 am »
Reaver's Fixed Hitboxes for OpenXcom

This mod should help you.

Their hitbox is set smaller than the units actually are. Your soldiers will purposefully aim under their armpits repeatedly. From certain angles, your soldier's odds of hitting can actually go down the higher your shot accuracy is. This mod increases the hitbox size of most aliens by 1, which is not only more true to their actual size, but significantly increases the odds your soldiers will score hits. It also increases the odds that the aliens score hits on you! I have tested these hit boxes countless times and I am convinced that the sizes in this mod are correct for their sprites.

P.S.: Doesn't work for any alien, enemy, friendly, civilian, soldier, tank, or any other unit added in a mod. This mod only works for vanilla units and soldiers.