aliens

Author Topic: German Translation at 100%  (Read 1964 times)

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
German Translation at 100%
« on: August 27, 2021, 03:45:42 pm »
The German translation of the X-Com Files on Transifex is now at 100% (Unreviewed)! I assume this means the next update will have that translation (minus, of course, the strings changed in that update) but I don't know how it works on the dev end. I may be able to whip up a language file before that if anybody is interested.

I think I translated just under 5000 of the 7724 strings, but of course I used the X-Com, TFTD and Final Mod Pack strings where applicable. Thanks to all the other participants!

This doesn't mean the translation is really done, of course. Given that I didn't have a proofreader there are going to be typos, inconsistencies, grammar errors and word errors in there. Some of the translations, especially those I did while sick, read extremely stilted and overly close to the original. Some texts are probably too long for their windows. And then there are the exciting new changes with every update... Feel free to correct any of those on Transifex, or simply message me! I was planning on replaying XCF to find the errors, but I don't think I will have the time to start finish a playthrough over the next months.

I would like some input from German-speakers on a couple questions...
Spoiler:
Wie übersetzt man Red Dawn? "Rote Morgenröte" is pleonastisch doppelt gemoppelt. Den englischen Namen will ich für eine Post-Sowjet-Organisation aber nicht stehenlassen.

Ich habe "Smart-"(gun) weitgehend mit "Digital-"(waffe) übersetzt. Einwände? Bessere Vorschläge? Meine Abneigung gegen das Wort "smart" ist vielleicht zu stark.

Der Spieler wird mit "Sie" angesprochen, da fast alle intra-diegetischen Texte entweder in einem "beamtlichen" Berichtsstil verfasst sind, oder von para-militärischen Untergebenen. Sollten die extra-diegetischen Texte (Anleitungen etc) den Spieler duzen?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 02:19:06 pm by HinterDemGlas »

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: German Translation at 100%
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 09:21:27 pm »
>Red Dawn
Morgenrot? (Leuchtender Pfad, Rote-Armee-Fraktion ;))

>Digital-(waffe)
gefällt

>Diegese ist ein analytischer Begriff der Erzähltheorie.
nüd schlecht.
Kannst du die "Anleitungen" so formulieren, daß auf du/Sie verzichtet wird?

Ansonsten: Hut ab für die Mühe!

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 10:20:15 pm »
Gerne, gerne! Insgesamt hat die Mod mit Leichtigkeit Romanlänge, fühlt sich gut an, das geschafft zu haben.

Morgenrot ist sehr gut. Und es ist besser, auf die Anrede zu verzichten, wenn der englische Text das "you" eher unpersönlich benutzt wie das "man" im Deutschen. Muss ich bei Gelegenheit mal nachbessern.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 01:35:50 pm »
It's great, congratulations!!!

I hope you'll continue to maintain the German version, if you have the time and energy to do so.

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 10:58:18 am »
I will, at least for a while! Keeping it up to date will be a much less consuming task. And I do want to know where the Illuminati stuff is going... By the way, I marked some possible typos as "issues" on Transifex.

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 04:36:43 pm »
Transifex translation is back at 100% and I cleaned up a lot of the word salad in the early game (as I encounter it in my very slow very occasional play-through). Found 3 typos, marked as Issues. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 04:47:51 pm »
Awesome, thank you!