aliens

Author Topic: Tanks are not afraid of obstacles! At least the bushes...  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Tanks are not afraid of obstacles! At least the bushes...
« on: August 04, 2021, 06:00:56 pm »
Please make it so that tanks and large ground units can break some obstacles. I start to hang myself every time I come across a map with jungle or dense urban development.
Surprisingly, in order for a tank to pass I have to shoot bushes and small fences.
I'm not talking about that they would pass through the bearing walls of the houses, but a small fence and bushes to break down, they clearly should be able to, and perhaps the trees. (Although probably would be cool to fly into a house in which there are locked enemies with the words Surprise motherfucker)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Tanks are not afraid of obstacles! At least the bushes...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 06:03:51 pm »
It's already doable.
Melee terrain damage is a thing since last year or so.
Feel free to mod it in.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 06:27:26 pm »
I meant something different.
The idea is that the tank could move through the bushes while breaking them.
Probably with increased energy consumption. For example, when using "running". When you press "ctrl" it starts to move where a normal unit can not.

Is there a way to make fists break things in front of them? O_o Just now, fists only hit if there is an enemy.
If so, I'll add fists to the tank...

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 06:55:12 pm »
Yes, as I said in the previous post there is a way to "make fists break things in front of them".

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 11:45:32 am »
You can't have it breeze through terrain, but you can have it do a free melee attack which only destroys terrain. It doesn't feel the same, but it accomplishes the same goal.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 12:47:04 pm »
For lack of a better way out I will have to use the crutch with the melee in the tank. But I would like to see a more thoughtful implementation of the idea in the project itself.

I would like to think that the developers will take note of this idea, at least in the form of additional settings.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 02:33:32 pm »
Nobody has done any change/new feature in the map format in the last 10 years and I doubt anyone will in the next 10 years. Sorry.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 09:23:27 pm »
I would like to think that the developers will take note of this idea, at least in the form of additional settings.
There are already a lot of options in Openxcom Extended (OXCE) that may give you enough to work with. For example, you can tone the melee damage way down so that it can't be used against units, but can make it work well against terrain specifically. That's just one of many possible solutions.

If you can outline exactly what you want the tank to do, we can show you how to do at least some of it.

And if you really want to dig deep, you can learn scripting to enable you to do far more than what you can do in the ruleset. I do not know the limitations of scripting, but it's expanding every month. You could probably do some facsimile of deleting terrain in front of the tank if you knew how.