aliens

Author Topic: Couple questions regarding more recent updates  (Read 1582 times)

Offline akk1990

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Couple questions regarding more recent updates
« on: July 21, 2021, 01:56:36 pm »
I've been playing this mod and really, really enjoying it. However I am on the 1.7 version of the mod.

I've been looking at the changelogs and whilst most of the things look to be great, there are three things which stood out to me thats making me weary.

First, map size reductions.

Second, Alien Embassy changes.

Thirdly, the reduction in the number of enemies based on difficulty.

With regards to the first one, which maps have been made smaller? And by how much? One of the things I love about this mod is that the maps are huge and filled with enemies that can ambush you at any time. I really dont want to lose this feeling and have maps feel too crowded or tiny.

With regards to the second point, as destroying Alien Embassies (or Alien Colonies as they are now known) doesnt reclaim the nation, is there a different way to reclaim the nation from the aliens? Is there a way to stop nations from falling at all? It just seems remarkably unbalanced and unfair that conquest can only go one way and there is jack all you can do to stop or reverse it.

And finally, with regards to the third point, how much of a reduction of enemy numbers are we talking about? Is there a way to customise the number of enemies that isnt based on difficulty if I feel like there arent enough enemies? I like playing on the hard or normal difficulty settings but not the hardest setting, but I also like fighting hordes of enemies. I dont really want the number of enemies reduced, as such I'd prefer a way to turn this change on or off. However if the reduction is only very slight then it would be ok.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Couple questions regarding more recent updates
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 11:38:23 pm »
With regards to the first one, which maps have been made smaller? And by how much? One of the things I love about this mod is that the maps are huge and filled with enemies that can ambush you at any time. I really dont want to lose this feeling and have maps feel too crowded or tiny.

AFAIK it was only some monster missions. The ones with one beetle and half the country to search for it.

With regards to the second point, as destroying Alien Embassies (or Alien Colonies as they are now known) doesnt reclaim the nation, is there a different way to reclaim the nation from the aliens? Is there a way to stop nations from falling at all? It just seems remarkably unbalanced and unfair that conquest can only go one way and there is jack all you can do to stop or reverse it.

That's funny, I just finished responding to this very issue: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8767.msg140161.html#msg140161

Yeah, it's unfair. The mod makes it pretty clear from the very beginning anyway. Fair rules are good for e-sports. ;)

And finally, with regards to the third point, how much of a reduction of enemy numbers are we talking about? Is there a way to customise the number of enemies that isnt based on difficulty if I feel like there arent enough enemies? I like playing on the hard or normal difficulty settings but not the hardest setting, but I also like fighting hordes of enemies. I dont really want the number of enemies reduced, as such I'd prefer a way to turn this change on or off. However if the reduction is only very slight then it would be ok.

I can't say how much exactly, but it's only noticeable on high difficulties.