aliens

Author Topic: "force fire" when no line of fire - hotkey?  (Read 12190 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
"force fire" when no line of fire - hotkey?
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:49:58 pm »
do we have a hotkey to force firing even though the LOF is blocked? this might be nice. especially for breaking down (multiple) walls when trying to fire at an alien...

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: "force fire" when no line of fire - hotkey?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:32:25 am »
hmm... clicking the same tile after the LoF message could override no LoF and fire anyway, toggle able feature in options maybe?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:34:13 am by Arpia »

Volutar

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:10:31 am »
I have suggested this idea about month agom in IRC.
Just second click to override no LoF? how much time should came from last click to still no LoF message? This is bad option.
I was thinking about ctrl+click as no LoF override. Like in other games. I don't think it would be a problem. just firing wherever you want.
It's literally 2 lines of changed code.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:54:54 am by Volutar »

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:47:14 am »
maybe 4 lines (or some really long lines) to set it as an option like strafe?

Volutar

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:43 am »
If that be used by aliens it would be much better. Destroying walls used as cover. I'd like that.

Offline AMX

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:13:44 pm »
How about turning the "No LoF" message into a "No LoF - Fire anyway?" button?
I would prefer to keep "Ctrl-Fire" free for another use, and "klick again to override" has a problem with accidental double-klicks.

Volutar

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:15:41 pm »
UI button for "fire anyway" seems to me as too complicated..

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:22:08 pm »
no UI button, please. I would like to avoid unneccessary mouse movement - that's what hotkeys are for.

what do you want to use "ctrl" + "left click" for, then? to me that sounds like a reasonable combination.

Aliens shooting down walls: yes, please! this would give even more importance to using spotters and indirect tactics.
although that would be even better with a full environment damage model: heavy-plasma-bolt-punching-through-a-house-to-hit-a-soldier-on-the-other-side, anybody? :)

Offline AMX

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 01:56:44 pm »
no UI button, please. I would like to avoid unneccessary mouse movement - that's what hotkeys are for.

Quite the opposite of me, then - I prefer to avoid unnecessary use of my off-hand.
Of course, we could compromise and make the button accept "Enter"  ;D
what do you want to use "ctrl" + "left click" for, then? to me that sounds like a reasonable combination.

Aiming at a specific object inside a tile. Still trying to formulate a reasonable-sounding suggestion for that...

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 04:29:31 pm »
targeting a specific object? like wall/floor/object? you'd either need more than one hotkey for that, or something to toggle through the options... maybe a hotkey and then mousewheel to select the actual object? this might become complicated easily.

I have just come up with another idea here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1012.0.html

maybe we can even come up with a kind of advanced sniper mode, where you can target specific voxels? first select a tile, then select the exact voxel with mouse (x/y axis) and mousewheel (z axis)?

Offline AMX

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 05:34:01 pm »
targeting a specific object? like wall/floor/object?

Exactly - like "shoot the floor, even if there's a wall" or "shoot that wall, not the other wall"
you'd either need more than one hotkey for that, or something to toggle through the options... maybe a hotkey and then mousewheel to select the actual object? this might become complicated easily.

I have just come up with another idea here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1012.0.html

maybe we can even come up with a kind of advanced sniper mode, where you can target specific voxels? first select a tile, then select the exact voxel with mouse (x/y axis) and mousewheel (z axis)?

I was thinking:
Point at tile
Press and hold CTRL
Move mouse to a neighboring tile

That's  good enough if we only aim at objects, since a tile can't have more than 5 that are valid targets (wall, other wall, floor, content, unit; items lying in the tile are not valid targets) and one of them can be ignored (unit is the preferred target when shooting normally, no need to aim specifically for it)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 06:52:27 pm »
targeting a specific object? like wall/floor/object? you'd either need more than one hotkey for that, or something to toggle through the options... maybe a hotkey and then mousewheel to select the actual object? this might become complicated easily.

I think the two thread are becoming redundant.

in any case the force fire should be a simple implementation no need to create a new button or a combination of keys, as i posted in the other thread.

I think a simple notification should be displayed
"no LoF, double-click to force fire"
Also this could be in the in the option menu to show or not show the notification.

This simply says are you sure you want to attempt to fire even if you probably won't hit there target since there are obstacles

This way experienced user can simply use the feature and do not have to be bugged about it.

or in the first instance of the notification have a little tick mark.
"[ ] Show only on first time"
or
"[ ] Always show notification"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:56:35 pm by xracer »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 07:14:17 pm »
or simply add new option that will change color of cursor if you dont have LoF and you will always shooting even without LoS.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 09:21:29 pm »
we have two issues here. one is an extension of free-aim, the other is a limitation, but I think both could be solved by one change, as explained above.

1) I am trying to allow shooting even when terrain or objects are blocking the path via a hotkey.

2)as TopCat wrote:
Please allow shooting to terrain only with some key pressed (Shift, ctrl, etc).

this is asking for a limitation of free-aim: only allow firing at terrain ( = free-aim) with a hotkey. probably to avoid accidentally firing at a tile adjacent to an alien by mis-clicking.

both could be resolved by the need for a hotkey for either, along with a correct warning message when not using the hotkey.

either case should be configurable:

Code: [Select]
FreeAimRequiresHotkey : boolean, defaults to 0 (like in original)
FreeAimHotkey : default "Ctrl"
ForcedFiringWithoutLoF : boolean, defaults to 0 (like in original)
ForcedFiringWithoutLoFHotkey : default "Ctrl"

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 09:39:15 pm »
I know i am no programmer and i am out of place here.

But why add 2 variables with the same value, i think that simply complicates the code.

add a single variable that will allow to shoot no matter what.

a notification could be displayed to the user,
"Invalid target or no LOF, double click to force fire"

I think this will simplify code and it will be easy for the user to remember adding more hotkeys can become overwhelming. Also double click implementation should be easy enough just make they system listen for the mouse event within a time threshold.

Again this is just my $0.02