Author Topic: Clarification questions  (Read 19003 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification questions
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2021, 08:35:00 pm »
And it also implies that they should't be able to die from overstun either
Yeah, looks like it.

Now if only there was an indicator for "is Illumiated" because I am not entirely sure about how far from flares I need to stand.
I think the auto-lights are about at the threshold. Toggle the lights a few (hundred) times, and then gauge battlescape lighting according to that.

...probably still not able to burn down sections of forest in a reasonable time period to clear LOS.
Explosives. Lots of explosives has always been the X-Com answer to everything. :D

Mainly it is the part where for rapidfire guns like the Minigun and machine gun have you follow EVERY SINGLE BULLET, which is okay for some weapons.
Miniguns are already very fast, aren't they? Machine guns, rifles and SMG's, there I agree. I added bulletspeed 8-12 to those myself, and it's more or less okay.

Red flash on damage helps a lot, but sometimes it hits with no flash, and causes bleeding.
Maybe the red flashing script doesn't account for miniscule damage? Because only damage is supposed to cause wounds in core code. IDK, I haven't really paid attention.

But I also sometimes have a melee guy next to an enemy ranged attacker, and want to know how badly that effects them, and what the effective dodge/clash chances are.
Enable debug mode, m-click, press F1.

I should probably enter the discord. That sounds fun.
Well, it's where the XCF development and discussion is these days. Myself, I dislike Discord for anything complex, since it's hard to make a good long argument in that format, any filtering between your brain and your fingers is more or less gone, and browsing for information is non-existent. Vast numbers of people disagree with me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:38:48 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Ranakastrasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2021, 01:10:07 am »
What are Auto-lights?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2021, 01:42:47 am »
I guess the correct term is personal lighting. I mean, your soldiers are always automatically lit when combat starts, so... auto-lights. :)

Offline Ranakastrasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2021, 02:44:49 am »
Are those lights just shy of illumination?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2021, 02:47:43 am »
AFAIK, yes. I think Solarius rewrote them at one point? Might have been back in the days before 0.4, even.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 02:50:31 am by Juku121 »

Offline Ranakastrasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2021, 05:48:11 am »
Ok, For projectile speed/impact speed.
From what I can see, there are three values that can be manipulated.
The Global setting "battleFireSpeed", which effects projectile speed, but not impact duration.
The Clip's "bulletSpeed", Which is presumably multiplied by the global value. This does not appear on all weapons, and presumably has a default value somewhere else.
and The Clip's hitAnimation, which is how many frames the hit animation lasts, or -1 if it is instant and has no animation.

There is also explosion speed, but it is only on Miniguns, and I have no idea what it does.

So I just need to identify all the SMG in the game, and both increase bullet speed and reduce hit animation for them. I think that would cover it. I might want to to Rifles as well, but one thing at a time. Will probably do a full pass later.

Edit: Hit animation is a graphics lookup index, and -1 is null, meaning no animation. Now I need to figure out what animation to use, if any. I want it to be faster, but not instant, but no animation is still probably reasonable.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 06:31:21 am by Ranakastrasz »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2021, 10:51:58 am »
There is also explosion speed, but it is only on Miniguns, and I have no idea what it does.
I want it to be faster, but not instant
That speeds up the 'hit explosion', which is analogous to bulletspeed for projectiles. Setting that to even 2 or 3 is, again, a more immersive solution than deleting the hit animation altogether.

So I just need to identify all the SMG in the game
Solarius has helpfully already done that. Use his item filter strings to search for specific item classes.

Offline Ranakastrasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2021, 08:09:35 pm »
Ah. What are the defaults for Projectile speed and explosion speed, because those don't appear on all clips.

And yea, I saw the tags. Made it way faster. Did machine guns too.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2021, 10:15:42 pm »
In general, the reference doc is your friend. The in-game information screen also has a 'default values' button, but sometimes the names of variables differ from those in the ruleset. For human readability, I guess.

Both of these values are 0 by default, and somewhere around 10 bulletspeed and 2-3 explosion speed is starting to edge into 'blink and you miss it' territory.