aliens

Author Topic: Base on Easter Island?  (Read 646 times)

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Base on Easter Island?
« on: September 16, 2024, 03:44:05 am »
Is it possible to build a base on Easter Island?

I can see it on the map when I zoom into the southern pacific ocean, but every nearby pixel I click on complains I can't build a base on water.  I think there was a mission in a port there, which gave me the impression there must be a land mass.

I don't mind either way, I just want to find out if there's a tiny little pixel of land somewhere there I missed.

Offline Rag

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Base on Easter Island?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2024, 05:57:19 am »
Some island terror sites like Easter Island and Falkland Island (even though the island itself exists there isn't a map marker for it) aren't present in the original game and were added in Terror From the Deep, I just checked and you can place a TFTD base directly on top of Easter Island if you want your base there, but as a result its sadly counted as underwater. It would have been a cool start location for a challenge run though due to Easter Island's conspiracy flavour

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 02:20:54 am »
Neat, thanks

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2024, 11:59:02 am »
Most islands are too small to be physically represented in the game.

But I think you can place the base wherever and then edit the save file to change its coordinates to whatever you want.

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2024, 07:56:44 am »
But I think you can place the base wherever and then edit the save file to change its coordinates to whatever you want.

LOL, sneaky!

I figure I'm about halfway to two-thirds through the game, and I've kept my final base slot in reserve just in case Underwater Bases become a thing (I figure they probably won't, but this megamod is so chock-full of unexpected gems 'ya never know).  If not, I planned to put it at the North Pole (with lots of hangers to provide responsive interceptor coverage over the northern hemisphere), but I suppose if I eventually succumb to the temptation of using this cheat I could stick it in the mid-Pacific to complete the gap there in my global radar coverage.  Although, I figured maybe that gap is intentional, to encourage use of radar craft.

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2024, 09:41:38 am »
Once I played a bit with the base placement for good radar coverage. This is the best I could find:

Hawaii (pretty mandatory to cover the Pacific)
Newfoundland
Sri Lanka
Africa: somewhere close to the border Gabun-Kongo
Australia: Queensland, NE coast
Russia: more or less in the center
Peru: at the cost, pretty much in the south
south pole