Author Topic: Saving and loading times take much longer  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Ostrich-Hungry

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Saving and loading times take much longer
« on: June 07, 2022, 09:45:03 pm »
Hey, I don't know what I can do to fix this problem, but since yesterday my savegame started to take like 10 seconds to save or load respectively. If I start a new game, it works as expected with saving/loading times immediately.
Weirdest thing is loading savegames from before this problem doesn't fix anything, since it has the same delay.
Anyone has one idea about what is happening? I remember saving and loading A LOT of times before this problem, since I was trying to see something, but It can't be the issue since older saves would work as usual... right?

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Saving and loading times take much longer
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 01:50:15 pm »
The longer you play, the bigger your save file becomes... This is mostly due to soldier diaries (which can be turned off if it becomes a problem).

Offline Ostrich-Hungry

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 06:56:09 pm »
I solved it reinstalling it, and changing the game to same-disk savegame folder (previously, savegames were stored at (C:) and game was installed at (D:). Now they are both on (C:) and it works as usual!
Thanks!

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 05:41:30 pm »
No problem - although I didn't actually help ;D

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 06:06:03 pm »
I solved it reinstalling it, and changing the game to same-disk savegame folder (previously, savegames were stored at (C:) and game was installed at (D:). Now they are both on (C:) and it works as usual!
Thanks!

Are they physically different drives? Or you divided one physical drive in separate ones?

It would make sense in the former.

On Linux I call I run the game with:
./OpenXcomEx -config ./user

This puts all the config, saves, etc inside a user folder inside the game itself. I never liked the idea of throwing saves, mods and configurations all over the computer.

For Windows you can create a .bat file with
OpenXcomEx -config .\user
and it should do the same.