aliens

Author Topic: run/strafe  (Read 4057 times)

Offline kulayeb

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
run/strafe
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:07:46 am »
First of all, I juat discovered open xcom a few days ago and I am LOVING it!

I currently have the strafe/run active but only use strafe. anyone else thinks it's OP? do aliens also get to use it? I personally think it offsets the challenge of the game as I can abuse it (which I am refraining myself from doing so)
If aliens are using it then I might switch it off.
Anyone else thinks the same?

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: run/strafe
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:39 am »
I highly doubt that the alien AI uses it. Because the AI is already very complicated, so I don't think anybody wants to implement a variant that depends on a option  :D

I've mostly experimented with the run, and I find it slightly overpowered :
- Exchanging 1 energy for 1 TU ? Any day! The ratio could be 1:2, I would still use it.
- Running is very powerful for your advance scouts : Run a few tiles, wait the 75% remaining TUs. Compared to walking the same distance and waiting, you reduce the risk of getting reaction fire during your turn, and maximize your reaction chances during alien turn.

Still, no matter the balance issue, I'll be very glad to keep it for TFTD with its giant maps...

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:49:44 am »
can confirm aliens don't use it, they have enough tricks up their collective sleeves as it is. ;)

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:05:02 pm »
I'd use it if aliens also had it, but as it is, it's easy mode. :)

I will totally use strafe with TFTD if it ever gets implemented, though. Damn all those ridiculous narrow corridors where you can't navigate the corners optimally no matter what you do, even if you know exactly where the alien is waiting in ambush.

Would love to see an option which has ONLY strafing and not running, though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:46:06 pm by Markus Ramikin »