aliens

Author Topic: cpp dev  (Read 3569 times)

Offline 32bits

• Squaddie
  • Talk is cheap, shoe me the code!
    • View Profile
cpp dev
« on: March 10, 2014, 03:19:56 pm »
Hello guys,

I've looked through the OpenXcom source code on github for investigation and further contributing. I found that the is fully written on C++ language and I unfortunately or luckily :) know C without crosses. So the question is: which book, article or internet page do I have to read to quick dive and contribute in the project? As far as I understood the SDL library should be known as well.

Thanks.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: cpp dev
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 05:16:55 pm »
I've modded the source but have not contributed, however I found that jumping in and simply writing code that looks like other code worked for me :) I probably had the equivalent of very little C knowledge when I started.

If you're looking for real issues that need tackling, then wait for one of the lead devs :x They are pretty active on the IRC as well, and very helpful!

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:31:42 pm »
C++ (C incremented by one :D) is "just" C with classes, virtual functions, operator overloading, multiple inheritance, templates and exception handling support (yeah, that's a mouthful).

So, considering that you know the basic syntax (which is more or less the same), if you have any knowledge of  OOP principles, you should follow Shoes' advice and dive in the code while keeping an eye on the IRC for the devs.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:32:23 pm »
If you have good understanding of C you should dont have lot of problems with understating most of OpenXcom codebase.

You should first focus on understanding of polymorphism because most of logic of OX is handled by this.