aliens

Author Topic: Fail base layout  (Read 10620 times)

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Fail base layout
« on: October 15, 2013, 03:45:43 am »

Apart from moving the workshop and radar to the inner empty spaces or otherwise just rotating I don't think there is any other layout which is impossible.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Fail base layout
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:03:44 pm »
No longer need so to do. ;)

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:41:53 pm »
How's that a fail layout?

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:10:53 pm »
No place for the last hangar to fit :P

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:21:57 pm »
I'm guessing you can't undo facility placement so you'd get stuck in-game whilst doing this?

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:23:05 pm »
Yup, the OXC developers didn't think anyone could be this stupid but I've proved them wrong! suckers!

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:12:15 pm »
I'm guessing you can't undo facility placement so you'd get stuck in-game whilst doing this?

this is only for the "custom starting base" initial placement, mind you. for later in-game facility construction, there is a "cancel build" button :)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:44 pm »
There used to be an "Ok" button of sorts that allowed you to "skip" buildings that have not been placed yet, but since that allowed you to start a game with half a base (or even less) and other weird situations, it was removed.

I think the best option is to have a "reset" button that will allow you to simply start again.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:17 pm »
Oh there isn't any reason to do any change, I wasn't posting this as a bug, I was just wondering if given the starting custom base layout are there any configurations which are impossible to complete, and the answer is yes.

It's pretty hard for someone to do this by accident especially as hangars are the first on the list so if you build in order it's always possible to complete the layout.

That being said it would be nice to have a reset or undo button for any times you might mis-click where you place a building

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 10:34:52 am »
Yep, looks like the Cancel button was removed. Don't ask me why this change was put in, I can't remember now. I'm sure there was a reason for it
https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/commit/21843f62e135ecd6368dafe1505e542497d66819

I did want to change the way custom bases were built by actually letting you start with the full money and you have to "buy" all your facilities, but it means you can buy any of them, and they'll all just take 0 days. So when you start the actual game you already have the base layout you want, and it's cost you for what you built. But I've not been about much (too busy moving house), so it's not happened. Maybe one day

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 10:53:43 am »
I wasn't posting this as a bug, I was just wondering if given the starting custom base layout are there any configurations which are impossible to complete, and the answer is yes.

So, how do you get out of that situation? I mean, when placing all the buildings, the game goes to geoscape/basescape, but since you are not able to place them all, what do you do?

This qualifies as a bug to me :)

Yep, looks like the Cancel button was removed. Don't ask me why this change was put in, I can't remember now. I'm sure there was a reason for it

You mean this one? :)

I have requested a "fix" for the "ability" to start with only some of the base facilities placed, because if you place only some of the buildings:

Then the game should return the price of the unbuilt building, and also of the unavailable personnel and items (no living quarters => no scientist, technicians and soldiers, no stores => no weapons and items, no hangars => no planes, etc).

Removal of the OK button was the easiest fix, it forced you to place all the buildings.

I still consider that you should be kinda forced to place all the buildings when starting a new game, but a "reset" button is needed to prevent this situation from happening.

(there could be a situation where you misplace the last facility and the game automatically starts, but since it's the beginning of the game, I think you can easily start a new game to get over it)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:40:28 am »
You mean this one? :)
Aye, that sounds like the one ;) and wow, that was nearly a year ago! Where has the year gone?!

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 01:20:20 pm »
Don't look at me, I have no idea  :o

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 01:30:36 pm »
So, how do you get out of that situation? I mean, when placing all the buildings, the game goes to geoscape/basescape, but since you are not able to place them all, what do you do?

This qualifies as a bug to me :)

It is a bug, I just didn't post it as a bug-report, more like a "ha this is funny (to me)" :P
To get into the situation you have to try hard, I doubt anyone would un-intentionally run into this situation, but yes a reset button would be great.