Author Topic: Did you ever bother with those complex score screens?  (Read 4786 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Did you ever bother with those complex score screens?
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:06:28 pm »
I remember ufopaedia being fun to go through the first time round.  I guess I never go there now, better to use the online wiki.  But there just seems to be so many features.  So what if there is alien activity which is not detected by my hyperwave devices.

Does anybody bother with them?  Fun to have, wouldn't want to lose that feature but I guess I never checked it frequently enough.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: Did you ever bother with those complex score screens?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:21:18 pm »
i never look at them, i thought it was just me :P

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:34:00 pm »
I think those graphs are probably quite useful, but I never use them either :P

I suppose that they would be better implemented as a globe overlay: colorize areas according to Alien or XCom activities, so you can instantly send aircraft to investigate possible alien base sites.

that's something for the future, though :)

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:21:00 pm »
I check the UFO activity occasionally to see if aliens have been operating somewhere without me noticing, and maybe once in a blue moon the financial screen to stroke my ego at all the upwards curves.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 06:16:11 pm »
From my experience the "Graphs" button should be called the "Panic" button. A month goes by with nothing spotted, your patrols don't find anything, you start wondering what's up, you get nervous. In desperation you check the "Graphs" screen. All looks fine... wait a minute, there's a sudden spike in South America? It's been sucking your score dry?! You rush to check and suddenly there's two Alien Bases and the countries are gonna pull their funding and and and!!!!

A globe overlay would be cool, but the Geoscape palette is mostly blues and greens, doesn't give you much to work with.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 06:21:46 pm »
A globe overlay would be cool, but the Geoscape palette is mostly blues and greens, doesn't give you much to work with.

maybe a dithering with the background image's shades of purple would work? kinda weird, I admit, but better than nothing :D

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:30:33 pm »
I use the Graphs quite a bit -- all those analysts in the backroom... studying newspaper clippings.*

i wish there was a [Set] button tho, that notched current levels of activity per, just out the rightside of the table, so it'd be instantly noticeable "Yep, that one's up; send a patrol!!"

* requires building-facility to access Graphs page ;p
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:32:57 pm by kevL »