Author Topic: Is there a mod for streamers? If not...  (Read 420 times)

Offline Hadriex

• Captain
    • View Profile
Is there a mod for streamers? If not...
« on: September 05, 2024, 10:39:09 am »
It's a long shot, but it's good to ask first before reinventing the wheel.

I really loved the xcom files, it's a hell of a mod. I've been watching for years as more and more is added, not to mention all the mod mods, and I really want to stream it again. However, I've streamed a fair bit of Xcom over the years and there's a problem for streaming sorta baked into Xcom. The same encounters repeat.

I kinda like this, training missions are very much a part of the game, and I don't always capture my targets first try. But running into the 20th beetles in the desert mission doesn't exactly make for the most captivating livestream.

So, I need some sort of mod mod. The simpler the better.

My first guess at a solution would be to create some sort of queue where I can throw repeat missions I don't want to do on stream, and then between streams go back and run those missions.

My second potential solution would be to extend the duration missions stay on the map by several months. Again allowing me to come back to them between streams. Though this would be a lot messier as more and more red dots spread over my map like the measles. But it does have the advantage that I could probably figure out how to do this myself.

I'm open to other ideas. I'm also in no hurry as I've not committed to any particular timeframe.

Offline Nerro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a mod for streamers? If not...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 02:16:08 pm »
The way I did it is to just not do a lot of those missions. As long as the score is ok, repetitive mission can be ignored.
It is probably not the best solution, but its the easiet.
The real stream killer for me was the inventory mangement.

On a different note, if you plan to post VOD or stream on Youtube, replace "GMGOE4.oog" from the sound folder. This song will get you blocked. I also preemptively replaced THING.ogg, it could be fine but I would not take risk with song from a movie. Some other songs will cut Twitch VOD sound, but they will not get you blocked.

Offline Hadriex

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2024, 01:06:08 am »
Thanks for the tip on the sound files. That's a huge help.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2024, 06:13:00 am »
YouTube-friendliness was one of the reasons for Stone Lake's remusic submod, maybe you should check that out: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,11629.0.html

As for repetitiveness, the monster missions incur despawn penalty but have zero abort penalty. So you go check them out if they're worth the time. Many are over relatively quickly. It's some other missions that can drag out more.