aliens

Author Topic: Arrow unlocking  (Read 1332 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Arrow unlocking
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2024, 07:01:15 am »
How would that even work? You still need tank/laser researched to repair broken MiB tanks, and if you do, why not manfacture your own. It's not like you'll ever need more than one.

I kind of agree. Most benefits come from points and obtaining good weapons (especially laser pistols and rifles are useful at this point in the game), as well as million+ worth of sellable loot.

Of course, you can get a Tank/Laser with just 12 alloys if you repair a broken MIB tank, instead of having to put 24 alloys in to manufacture one yourself. That's essentially the marginal benefit from MIB tank remains.

If you live-capture MIB Tank Terrorist with EMP mines, you can't do anything with them except sell them for 375K base price each. In particular you cannot use the MIB Tank Terrorist chassis for your AI units directly or with any conversion (in a way you can convert alien drones to flying drones).

This might be an oversight, because it would make sense to be able to reuse an unbroken chassis the same way you can reuse a drone or a live MIB sectopod. (This is actually one of the best ways to obtain sectopods yourself early, not manufacturing one.) This might be something for SS to consider.

Offline Amoebka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2024, 07:11:15 am »
Meh, I think that would only encourage camping farm reinforcements more. In my personal opinion, that's not something players should be rewarded for doing, and maybe even the "you lose instantly" timer needs to return.

Getting a laser tank too early would also break the game too hard. Most human enemies pre-syndicate simply don't have any weapons that can hurt them.

Offline Rag

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2024, 03:46:57 pm »
I made a Skyraider on my current game instead of waiting for the Skyranger and think I prefer it over the Skyranger 4 less people especially if fielding a tank can hurt but those 2 sidedoors are a huge gamechanger and the increased globe map speed is nice if multiple missions pop at once, will try making the Skymarshal later once I have spare alien alloys and see which I prefer between it and the Kitsune

Unlocking the Laser Tank was my primary research focus when I hit Promotion 3 this time, it still took 1-2 months to get it but it immediately reminded me how much I loved it, watching cultists flail against it as the literal "tank" of my team as the other agents snipe them from the darkness without needing to worry too much about the sniper/spotter mechanic anymore is comforting revenge for all the BS the cultists have put me through before. Of course the laser part of the tank isnt "needed" for that as I could have just made a minigun tank or similar...but...lasers. And of course lasers make for good tools to help clear the way to climb up buildings with 2x2 staircases, which is always funny especially the Skyscraper mission

I remember the only 2 problems my tanks faced during early Promotion 3 when I first got them was Gillmen and Zombies, cultists can shoot the tank all day and barely damage the paintwork, but a Gillman and a Fat Zombie once 1 shot my laser tank somehow so I'm hesitant to send it to zombie missions or Dagon HQ unless I can keep it underneath the Osprey / Kitsune to avoid the Gillman arc.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 03:49:59 pm by Rag »

Offline SickBoySid

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2024, 05:16:12 pm »
How would that even work? You still need tank/laser researched to repair broken MiB tanks, and if you do, why not manfacture your own. It's not like you'll ever need more than one.

So I think the military shot down an UFO event can give you the power system and alien laser rifle, and that gives you everything you need + the two tanks from MIB in farms and I like having more then one (later on when you get more alloys) because when ones down being repaired/Rebuilt I have a back up because even tho it's a tank it still gets taken out now and then

I have 2 labs at my top 2 bases so I rush out the research

And for instance taking out mannors Id rather have liquidator armor with a tank in front at night raids then having tritanium vests. I go pretty hard on night raids until you regularly have to fight aliens
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 05:24:45 pm by SickBoySid »

Offline Rag

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2024, 04:10:32 am »
I tried the mentioned MiB reinforcement farm for the first time and the Kitsune worked decently for it, though a few of the agents didn't get to fire it was mostly the 4 each side of the ramp, but this was with a lucky landing location of the top courner of the map which forced them to approach from the sides. The only unsafe moment was the 2 tanks which my BlackOps Auto-Sniper Rifles didn't kill with reaction fire but I got lucky with them missing and I sent down my own laser tank to finish the job on the next turn. I was worried at first the tanks would explode on the loot pile when destroyed but luckily they don't share that in common with the Red Dawn Armored Car.

I think due to the laser tank being so effective against theirs I would be hesitant to try this without my own instead of salaving theirs for the first one

As for the Liquidator armor I keep forgetting to try those camoflauge and night vision options, it is something i should try at some point instead of just going for highest protection, but i'm unsure how effective it is when the sniper / spotter mechanic can end up hitting you from across the map, in the dark, behind a mountain (that was a very "fun" grenade launcher moment...)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 04:14:22 am by Rag »

Offline Amoebka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2024, 12:16:41 pm »
Ye, camo is worthless. As soon as they've seen one of your soldiers, they are basically maphacking for the next few turns. It still gives no-sight penalty, but it's not worth giving up protection.