Author Topic: [Suggestion] Can't use Medi-Kit on a mind-controlled unit  (Read 1207 times)

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Can't use Medi-Kit on a mind-controlled unit
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2024, 12:51:15 pm »
This is already from the series "PSI-minigun".
I don’t know what exactly is meant by “PSI-minigun”, probably another wild idea, but I’ll explain why I expressed my idea exactly the way it is.
Teaching enemies in OpenXcom to use first aid kits, even in a vanilla game, is not a trivial task.  This, as for me, goes beyond the scope of even OXCE (similar proposals have already been made and, as far as I remember, were rejected), rather they should be addressed to Brutal OXC.  Simply because in both OXC and OXCE, enemies act individually, with almost no cooperation.  Well, excluding the added mechanics of spotter-snipers, but even with that, each enemy acts individually, and not as part of a general plan, unlike the player’s units.
If you teach enemies to use first aid kits, this will lead to the fact that, in an effort to heal their wounded relatives, they will run out into the open, to the victim, where they will become easy prey.  This will be especially bad for injured terrorists with melee attacks, who are forced to approach the player's soldiers in order to attack them.  The enemy medic is unlikely to be able to catch up with the victim and heal him, and with a high probability he will simply die in vain.  After all, the person being healed will not retreat to some kind of shelter for the duration of treatment, but will continue to rush to attack.  Therefore, using a traditional contact first aid kit will be of little benefit to enemies.
Hence the idea of ​​remote treatment, so that enemy medics can treat their wounded from a great distance and even hide in cover after such a “shot”, if they can.  Instead of running headlong across half the battlefield and not even having time to heal a dying comrade due to a lack of action points.
The use of a shot is precisely because the artificial intelligence algorithms of enemy units already have everything for this - after all, they know how to shoot from conventional weapons.  In this case, it is only necessary that the most affected relatives be considered as a target.
Well, I wrote from the very beginning that the idea was crazy.  And most likely it will also not fit into the restrictions with which OXCE is being developed.  As well as the idea of ​​teaching enemies to use regular first aid kits.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Can't use Medi-Kit on a mind-controlled unit
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2024, 04:06:51 pm »
yergnoor +1 :)

Brutal OXC is better match for logic like this. But even in Brutal, how they even manage to make efficient to use of it?
Its easy to implement "IF alien with MedKit stand next to wounded alien THEN use MedKit" but how many times it even
happens in battlespace? Should Alien Medic rush from inside UFO to some wounded Alien solder next to Avenger?

Another is what exactly point of using MedKits by aliens? I only see this as making alines weaker as in many case should more prefer
kamikaze attack that trying preserve some hp. This is because next turn is will very likely to be kill by next xcom shoot anyway.