Author Topic: OpenBOE - Summer project inspired by OpenXCOM and other open-source ports  (Read 236 times)

Offline NatQuayle

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hi all! I discovered OpenXCOM way back in 2018 and was so completely impressed with the project. I had never played XCOM, and I wanted to experience the original, but I found the low resolution and other lack of usability to be deal breakers. I couldn't believe that folks had completely rewritten the game engine, and released it for free! Furthermore, I couldn't believe that it actually worked, was super playable, and let me break through to enjoy the hell out of XCOM. I never beat the game but I had such a great time.  ;)

For a long time, I've wanted to contribute to a similar open-source game preservation project, and this summer I decided to finally follow that dream. I'm gonna be working on Open Blades of Exile, the project to make a cult-classic retro RPG playable on modern systems. Blades of Exile was created by Jeff Vogel (Spiderweb Software) in 1997, and released as open-source in 2007. It comes with an adventure editor, which the fan community used to create 200+ adventure scenarios.

The open-source project is a little janky, and needs some love. I hope to do for OpenBOE what OpenXCOM did for XCOM!

Looks like I can't post external links (Fair enough! I don't want to break any rules.) But I have a dev log on TIGSource, and OpenBoE is on Github at calref/cboe.