Author Topic: Filtering hired soldiers at Recruitment??  (Read 468 times)

Offline ThumpieBunnyEve

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Filtering hired soldiers at Recruitment??
« on: May 18, 2024, 01:54:47 pm »
is there any way already in the oXcE menus, to set parameters for hiring soldiers?
I kinda blow Millions on hiring soldiers, then culling them back out when they don't have 30str and 30brave.
like 80% of these guys get to leave with a pay check for just scoring _Under_ my hiring requirement.

It makes sense that Psi School would be unique to each new higher as its part of the x-com program so evaluating and filtering soldiers based on psi-skill wouldn't be a thing. But at least i would be able to put them through a weight lifting test. And a bravery test would be as simple as injecting a drug to enhance paranoias, and putting them through an obstacle course under paintball fire and seeing if they still obeyed barked orders from sgt's.

but no 80% of these guys who show up for the tests, go home with 60,000$ just for auditioning. X_X;

I hope there is some mod for this that i am just not seeing...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 06:17:45 pm by ThumpieBunnyEve »

Online Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Filtering hired soldiers at Recruitment??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 03:05:15 pm »
Edit game files and change soldier minimum stats. And make the hiring cost 5x higher. Problem solved.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 05:26:15 pm »
Edit game files and change soldier minimum stats. And make the hiring cost 5x higher. Problem solved.
This is bad idea, do not touch game files, create dedicated mod that change it, and if I recall correctly this idea float around
and is possible there is mod that do it already.

Online Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2024, 06:06:44 pm »
create dedicated mod that change it
That's a waste of time. Why would a guy need to make a dedicated mod for a small change for himself? Just make a backup copy of \standard\xcom1\soldiers.rul file before editing it. It's even faster than searching the forums for existing mod.

And to answer the original question: No, there's no way to set hiring parameters.

Offline ThumpieBunnyEve

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2024, 06:17:10 pm »
I like Yankes answer. Because then others can have/use/tweak it. and the player can turn it on and off as desired easily without doing a bunch of nitty gritty file edits each time they just want it on or off. 

But i agree the cost going up to higher a soldier would be fine.  or, you know, lower the cost, but increase the monthly ask.

I 'higher' like 600 guys a month and immediately or not, fire 565 of them.  then put the remainder through psi school, and see if i should cull more.   its kinda silly!

maybe just pay these guys at the -end- of the month instead of for the right to look at their resume. X.X

also, as a mod, you'd at that point -know- you were altering your play through with it even if you kinda forget and come back to your save some 2 years later and are not sure why the heck you never get any low-end-soldiers.

But i don't know how to mod for xcom right now, so for the moment I'll use Delian's answer and keep a long ear out for if this does become a mod.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 06:32:16 pm by ThumpieBunnyEve »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2024, 06:24:57 pm »
https://mod.io/g/openxcom/m/hiring-a-trained-soldier
Reading this mod description show it give even more, you can hire better solder for more or but you can pay cheaper for weak solders.

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 07:40:12 pm »
That's a waste of time. Why would a guy need to make a dedicated mod for a small change for himself? Just make a backup copy of \standard\xcom1\soldiers.rul file before editing it. It's even faster than searching the forums for existing mod.

Because it is smarter and safer. Editing the base files just creates a bad habit that eventually will cause issues. In addition, creating its own folder and metadata file adds very little extra time to "waste".

Offline ThumpieBunnyEve

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 12:30:39 am »
Yankes i tried the mod you linked me to.  It does not play well with unmodded saves, nope nope!
all my bases suddenly had no soldiers. and, all my ships were without soldiers too.

Its definitely more of a //start your play through with this on, or don't touch it!// sort of mod.

Ill give it a shot on my next play through. But its options don't play nice with others like the rest of your/Meridian's oXcE stuffs.

Im not actually sure who the team is that made/continues to make oXcE..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 12:44:54 am by ThumpieBunnyEve »