Author Topic: Way to repeat dossier missions  (Read 1258 times)

Offline tris85

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Way to repeat dossier missions
« on: August 27, 2023, 03:36:33 pm »
First of all, I'm quite sure that a dossier mission never respwans, correct? Wether you dont intercept it at all, fail it or complete it. Is this assumption correct?

Since I'm playing a super human ironman game, not even knowing the missions mechanic, it's quite hard to win them (what is great!). But it feels like I do lose a bit of the games content by not stunning but just shooting the VIP. Or even totally fail the mission and dont even get the unique items of it.

So I wanted to ask if it might by (optional, by setting) possible to respawn failed missions? Or could you maybe tell me how to unlock them again by modifying the savegame?

Another question concering being afraid of losing game content: is it (usually, if not told different) super save to upgrade a savegame midgame? Or could I maybe lose missions, researches etc.?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Way to repeat dossier missions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 07:22:26 pm »
Your assumption is right, no do-overs.

I think the easiest way to enable another try would be to change the 'maxruns' setting in missionScripts_XCOMFILES.rul. Search for 'STR_DOSSIER_' to find the missions. Don't forget to change it back after you've succeeded once. Or just increase the counter by one each time you fail, but new games will still require resetting the value.

I suppose one could also modify the save, but I'm not 100% sure which entry controls reruns, and you might lose your record of previous losses this way. And it'd probably be a little more complicated than changing just one value.

In principle, it's possible to lose research, items, even bork your save to a degree. So far, the recent updates have been largely additive and the last big loss I recall was when the new Turbolaser Sniper ate your old Sniper Lasers. :) Solarius has been pretty good at maintaining compatibility, unless you're trying to play a 1.3 save with 3.1, or something like that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 07:24:25 pm by Juku121 »

Offline tris85

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 08:55:44 pm »
Thank you for clarification! So I guess that counter is just checked before the mission is selected? Are the dossier missions in a given order? So I'd maybe mess a bit with the balancing (since the later ones come even later) but that'd surely work? Guess I could even set that counter to 999 on spawn of a new mission und just set it back to 1 on completion? Guess the check is *smaller* equals? So no need to match the actual try count?

Edit: ah, my fault ... After reading again I got it: there's a count per mission. So I just need to adopt that. But the order question still persists  ;)

And can you tell me the difference between  https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles/blob/19bd3ac38a7ae2be0abc312b659e5147300ec3c6/Ruleset/missionScripts_XCOMFILES.rul#L6386 (NatashaMorozovaHideout) and https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles/blob/19bd3ac38a7ae2be0abc312b659e5147300ec3c6/Ruleset/missionScripts_XCOMFILES.rul#L6404 (NatashaMorozovaHideoutEndGame)?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 09:09:56 pm by tris85 »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 09:17:19 pm »
One is before you kill off Red Dawn, the other is after (much rarer for it to trigger, but in the extremely unlikely case if you manage to blow up Red Dawn HQ in mid-1997, it might trigger earlier - if the RNG gods smile upon you). They share 'maxrun's, kinda.

Edit: There's no particular order for the dossier missions, except of course the whole mission script runs sequentially and there's some support for conditional triggers based on that. I don't think dossier missions are using any of that, or any missions in XCF for that matter.

Edit2: Well, Shady Tavern does use these conditionals, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 09:21:13 pm by Juku121 »