aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1618804 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2295 on: July 30, 2016, 01:32:16 am »
I have tried to use incendiary in the original game and even when aliens catch fire they seem to take no damage from the fire. I'd seen a reaper (supposedly weak to incendiary) take multiple hits from incendiary and then walk around for multiple turns on fire and still require a few AP rounds to finish it off. That basically means the incendiary didn't even hurt it, since it only takes a few AP rounds to kill it from full health.

More recently I made a 90 power rapidly firing small launcher with incendiary, and tested it against reapers. They definitely took damage. The first shot knocked a reaper out cold but that was clearly a fluke as further shots failed to cause significant damage to the reapers and no reaper ever died from incendiary alone no matter how many times it was shot. They also never caught fire.

In the original game, a unit passing a turn while standing in fire, if they were still standing in fire at the start of their next turn, they would be lit on fire. I only observed this once, but one of my own soldiers lost half of their health and gained zero fatal wounds during a single turn while on fire.

-------------------

I have noticed that several of the units have weaknesses or resistances and these are often mentioned in the autopsy reports. You can use this information to defeat some of the harder aliens with conventional weaponry if your weapons technology is behind the curve. There's just one problem:

. . alien . . . . weakness
cyberdisc -- explosive (despite its explosive resistance, this is the best ammo to use against it)
reaper -- actually explosive (it has no explosive resistance and is a 2x2 unit)
snakeman -- no weakness
chryssalid -- no weakness
muton -- explosive if anything (resistant to AP, low under armor)
silacoid -- explosive
celatid -- other celatids
ethereal -- no weakness
sectopod -- laser https:// slight secondary to explosive

The problem is that if it has a weakness, it is generally weak to explosives. Explosives can and will defeat any alien. AP will not always work, lasers are not always a good option, and plasma will not work well against sectopods. But you can win the game using only explosives. The only units that actually resist HE damage type are 2x2 units with low under armor, meaning you just need a bigger bomb.

I haven't played FMP yet but I was thinking the aliens need more variety in their weaknesses. There should be some creatures resistant to explosive that are weak to AP--especially armored units I think. AP stands for armor piercing, after all. I think I'm going to write up a mod like that.

Food for thought.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2296 on: July 30, 2016, 01:35:04 am »
I did some small tweaks, but mostly kept the aliens vanilla. The FMP isn't supposed to diverge too much.
I'll probably be more creative with X-Com Files.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: July 31, 2016, 10:50:54 am »
I have actually been noticing the weaknesses A LOT more in my FMP game, here's from my experience:

- Cyberdisc: Its horribly vulnerable to fire. I often one-shoot Cyberdiscs with flamers in base defense missions. I also followed a tip in this thread and found out that Auto-Cannon bursts with Incendiary can also do the same thing. I think I once killed one with a Incendiary Grenade. In missions with lots of small doors and closed spaces, a good tactic is to attack them with Stun Rods.

- Silacoids: In vanilla, by the time they roll around they are harmless. In FMP they show up much earlier, and they are a pain. They're pretty much bulletproof, and completely fire-proof. Only way to kill these things is explosion or lots of bullets.

- Muton: Piercing resistance makes it nearly immune to Alloy bullets, and allow them to tank gauss sniper shots. Lasers rock vs Mutons.

- Gazers: No laser resistance? Also more fire-proof than Cyberdiscs.

- Chrysalids: Closest thing they have to a weakness is a good old burst fire to the face. They're the one alien that can't do anything about that, no react attack. 

I now always take mixed Gauss/Laser teams.

But I agree that resistances should be more important.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: July 31, 2016, 11:29:56 am »
- Cyberdisc: Its horribly vulnerable to fire. I often one-shoot Cyberdiscs with flamers in base defense missions. I also followed a tip in this thread and found out that Auto-Cannon bursts with Incendiary can also do the same thing. I think I once killed one with a Incendiary Grenade. In missions with lots of small doors and closed spaces, a good tactic is to attack them with Stun Rods.

Well, in the vanilla it would be the same with AC-IN ammo... But yes, flamers are very effective, as long as you can use them. But one-shotting them? What difficulty are you playing - not Beginner?

- Silacoids: In vanilla, by the time they roll around they are harmless. In FMP they show up much earlier, and they are a pain. They're pretty much bulletproof, and completely fire-proof. Only way to kill these things is explosion or lots of bullets.

I hope it's good? :)

- Muton: Piercing resistance makes it nearly immune to Alloy bullets, and allow them to tank gauss sniper shots. Lasers rock vs Mutons.

Yes.

- Gazers: No laser resistance? Also more fire-proof than Cyberdiscs.

Gazers are somewhat difficult to put down, but their general sluggishness make them relatively easy targets. Saturate them with anything better than rifles.

- Chrysalids: Closest thing they have to a weakness is a good old burst fire to the face. They're the one alien that can't do anything about that, no react attack. 

I now always take mixed Gauss/Laser teams.

But I agree that resistances should be more important.

I'm not going to tweak the resistances too much from the vanilla. X-Com Files is more bold.

Offline Helmet_Hair

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: August 02, 2016, 07:31:02 am »
I captured a reptilian officer and for some reason the game lets me research him more than once. With more than once I mean maybe 10+ times. If this intentional or is it bugged somehow? I know there was a setting in OpenXcom that the game deletes the researched thing, but I can't find it anymore.

I'm using the latest nightly build and the latest FMP.

Great mod btw. Love it!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:40:33 am by tomme25 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: August 02, 2016, 10:18:12 am »
I captured a reptilian officer and for some reason the game lets me research him more than once. With more than once I mean maybe 10+ times. If this intentional or is it bugged somehow? I know there was a setting in OpenXcom that the game deletes the researched thing, but I can't find it anymore.

No, you're not supposed to research the same alien multiple times.

I don't know what's going on with the nightly right now... Can anyone else confirm it's happening?

Offline Helmet_Hair

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: August 02, 2016, 09:17:45 pm »
No, you're not supposed to research the same alien multiple times.

I don't know what's going on with the nightly right now... Can anyone else confirm it's happening?

Okay, strange then. Before the Reptoid leader I had a MiB medic that I also could research a couple of times until he finally disappeared.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: August 03, 2016, 01:13:15 am »
I've researched a lot of aliens twice in the original X-Com as well as vanilla OpenXcom. I feel like there's a script that allows a live alien to be researched a second time if in the first research project it is used to unlock a special project and then the second time you are supposed to get its normal research value, but I haven't verified this.

I hope that helps you figure out where the bug is coming from.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: August 03, 2016, 07:12:24 am »
I remember a similar conplaint in the OXC thread in RPGCodex with MiB medic

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: August 03, 2016, 07:14:37 pm »
Version 1.9.3b released.

All right guys, there were a few errors regarding aliens not disappearing after interrogation... Now it should be fixed. I also added Ivan's new bigob for the Sectoid Commander.

I uploaded the fix to the mod site: https://www.openxcom.com/mod/final-mod-pack
Please let me know if you can download it in the first place.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 03, 2016, 11:40:35 pm »
I've tried several times both from the link provided and direct through the mods section in openxcom.org but all I get is the attached.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: August 03, 2016, 11:43:41 pm »
*sigh*

Okay, I'm done with the site. Here's the proper link: https://www.mediafire.com/download/bip010d98qaz1oa/Final_Mod_Pack_1.9.3b.zip

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: August 03, 2016, 11:47:51 pm »
Playing devil's advocate for a moment FMP v1.9.3b was the first mod in several days that I haven't been able to update via the buggy site. Personally I don't know what's wrong as the site seems to go through bouts of working reasonably with no response at all.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: August 03, 2016, 11:50:21 pm »
Playing devil's advocate for a moment FMP v1.9.3b was the first mod in several days that I haven't been able to update via the buggy site. Personally I don't know what's wrong as the site seems to go through bouts of working reasonably with no response at all.

I have no idea why it happens, it's a .zip like any other mod.
Maybe it's too big? But then again, it's less than 10 MB.... The X-Com Files is several times as much, not to mention the X-Piratez.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: August 04, 2016, 01:08:25 am »
I have no idea why it happens, it's a .zip like any other mod.
Maybe it's too big? But then again, it's less than 10 MB.... The X-Com Files is several times as much, not to mention the X-Piratez.
How many files you have? When I delete some old from my page I managed to access it again.