Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Ability to reset soldier rank after transformation  (Read 1658 times)

Offline B1ackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
Hi, im kinda new to modding and i think this wasnt proposed before (i did my best looking on forums and the ruleset referencies in ufopaedia.com, if thats the case, i apologize in advance) also, i dont know the correct terminology so i hope i can make my points clear enough.

TL;DR: as the title implies, is possible/doable to make a flag/command/line code that goes something like "restartRank: true" and so after you use a transformation, their current rank reference number resets to rookie (i mean 0,i´ll try to use these numbers to help structure my idea) again?.

long version of my question, and a bit of context
Spoiler:
i created a new soldiertype to represent officers, therefore i could separate completely NCOs to COs in my units, renamed the old ranks from private(=0) to sergeant major(=5) to represent seniors/highly seasoned NCOs. The idea is to have to manually pick up promising(?) or just by mere roleplaying ) soldiers, and "promote" them (via soldier transformation) to Lts, Cpt and so on....now the problem im facing currently is that i stablished a minRank to being elegible to attending officer school (in this case is corporal(=3) and the new unit used new rankString ranging from 3rd LT(=0) to Commander(=5), after transforming the unit, it changes into the equivalent rank level(i.e Number) of the new soldierType, in this case it goes from Corporal(=3) to Captain(=3). I make the workaround of having the first three levels (from 0 to 3) to repeat so it correctly advance to the lowest COs hierarchy level, but this still have issues anyways that if i decided to promote a higher ranking soldier instead of the minimum rank required, it jumps to the equivalent numbers (so i have sergeants moving directly to majors, or master Sgt into colonels, lmao).
So thats my request, that not matters the current rank a soldier have, we can add a flag option to move it into the lowest rank of the new soldier class.

Possible applications of this idea(?):
Spoiler:
Besides the applications of the "officers" i said above, i imagine this feature could be used by others modders. Hopefully anyone could find this useful and maybe the creators of megamods (of course this is mere speculation as i can not talk about the scope or directions they may wish to take of their mods, but im making just theories) like Bulletdesigner could apply this into his 40K mod, after transforming crippled soldiers into Dreadnoughts, he can create a new rank string so they can rank up unto venerables?....or even going further , if he implement Chaos classes, everyone resets to cultist, or regular Chaos marines, instead of just going into "final levels"(by rank equivalence) and becoming Champions directly... and etc

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Ability to reset soldier rank after transformation
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 05:21:28 pm »
Added.

Sample ruleset:

Code: [Select]
soldierTransformation:
  - name: STR_RESET_MY_RANK
    createsClone: false
    allowsLiveSoldiers: true
    allowedSoldierTypes:
      - STR_SOLDIER
    cost: 5000
    resetRank: true

https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/1604e2bb42522749919562994f877b40126bbba5

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [DONE][Suggestion] Ability to reset soldier rank after transformation
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 05:54:58 pm »
Thank you!

Having multiple pirate queens bothered me.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 06:00:31 pm »
What's the issue and how does this help?
Just curious.

Offline B1ackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 11:16:20 pm »
Absolutely outstanding! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you so much for your continuous efforts, Meridian. Your work is truly appreciated!