aliens

Author Topic: British Bulldogs - PC party game - 8 player single screen  (Read 6167 times)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
British Bulldogs - PC party game - 8 player single screen
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:15:14 am »
Wrote this for a Christmas getaway I'm going to with friends. Okay, so you need lots of joysticks, but that's the point, everyone plays off the same computer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2HoGDqE1So

I've not had chance to actually upload it to my website yet, hopefully over the weekend.

I'm intending to add network support, so linking several PCs up, each with up to 8 local players should make for some interesting games.

If you've never heard of British Bulldogs, here's some information about the game on Wiki

Edit: Actually, I could put the GitHub source link up :)
https://github.com/pmprog/BritishBulldog
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:13:21 pm by pmprog »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: British Bulldogs - PC party game - 8 player single screen
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:11:13 am »
Hey i use to play this as a kid ( pretty sure we call it something else over here though ), looking at your code now , still trying to make sense of programming and how everything links together, i have plans for a kids game myself so i have started working on the first model last night in blender , i must say i suck at it  :P

Great work , thanks for sharing.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 01:36:56 pm »
looking at your code now , still trying to make sense of programming and how everything links together
If you need me to explain any of it, just give me a shout

Great work , thanks for sharing.
No problems :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 03:13:43 am »
Have you ever produced anything for the Iphone , seams crazy the amount of money people spend on there little applications, its got me wishing i was smarter and more creative ;)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 06:10:08 pm »
No, IIRC you need a Mac to write IOS apps using XCODE (though I think you can buy other cross platform dev kits). I have considered it though. Would mean having to buy one of those phones to test on though, and I really don't want one.

Still, I have to be realistic if I ever actually thinking of trying to make it as an indie game studio

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 07:11:21 pm »
There's various cheap cross-platform tools out there now (Unity, UDK, Game Maker, etc.), but yeah you'd at least want an iPhone to test it on. Android is more managable for the cheapskate indie developer. ;)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 07:20:15 pm »
I've got UDK installed, and I've had Unity installed before. Couldn't work out how to do anything with either of them.

If I could guarentee I'd actually get around to producing something for the i-devices, I really would take the plunge with some of my cash. Given all the other stuff that crops up all the time, I'm just not in a position to really give it a whirl.

Who knows, maybe someday soon

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 04:13:30 am »
i found this yesterday ,  https://gamekit.org, https://code.google.com/p/gamekit  , Honesty i don't understand 95% of this programming stuff but it can load Blender files direct ( thus my interest, i was looking into the Blender game engine when i followed this link) and claims to build to most systems..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:22:44 am by luke83 »