Author Topic: Willing to pay $1000 USD for alternate endings  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Willing to pay $1000 USD for alternate endings
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2024, 07:42:46 pm »
I'd chip in $10 for the alternate ending. I'd gladly pay $100 to graphically show agents using commercial planes from major city hub to major city hub in the early game.

Me too! :D

Offline _Raven_

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2024, 01:06:12 pm »
Well, start opening up a new modding feature, a system of financial rewards for those who add a new feature to the game at the request of other players. For example, one or several people suggest adding something (let’s say a video animation that shows how agents load a car onto a plane and go on a mission, because the car works just like an airplane and just flies across continents, and the picture of an airplane in Ufopedia is an excuse, justification, explanation of why the car flies to the landing point like an airplane).

If someone can figure out how to make some kind of cutscene start every time the car leaves the hangar and flies to the landing point, then I can easily and simply make for you this animated video with voice acting or just music, all for me need is a regular video in mp3 format.

Let's expand the capabilities of video cutscenes in the game, I can assign a sound track to any xcom transport, every time it takes off from the hangar, this transport starts this sound track, and if we also add a cutscene so that when it takes off from the hangar (or when intercepting a UFO when you select a fighter from hangar and instruct him to intercept the UFO) a cutscene would start, then it would be possible to make a video showing how the plane takes off or the car is loaded onto the plane.

P.S.
And someone should pay me for the story cutscenes (or offer me to make an FLC animation for you and send me an MP3 video that you want to convert into an FLC animation), because there is absolutely no incentive to do modding anymore. Modding is only for the rich and middle class, for the poor, modding is almost inaccessible, because poor people cannot solve their financial difficulties with the help of modding and they are forced to stop modding and go somehow to solve their financial difficulties. Why can’t I earn my living with my labor and talent? It is forever and everywhere forbidden to both receive an award for mod and give this award to others.

Organize some kind of support system for modders who face financial difficulties and are forced to quit modding and fight for survival. You say that the donation system is harmful to modding, and when modders suffer from financial insufficiency and quit modding, then this does not harm modding, but reduces the number of people engaged in modding.
People should have a good incentive to share their mods and ideas for modding, to work together for the benefit of the community, then there will be no problems with either modding or mod masters.

I'm just offering this alternative and a way out of this situation, which is like a vicious circle, because I want to share my mods, but I'm under a lot of pressure from serious financial difficulties and I'm trying to get a reward for my work and earn a living, but no one wants to help me in any way and I perceive this as the community’s refusal of my work and the desire to share the mod disappears, because I know that no one will help me in any way and uploading a mod to the site is like throwing it into a black hole and so we can’t move get off the ground and understand each other, everyone is offended by each other, because no one gets anything from each other.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2024, 02:26:09 pm »
Organize some kind of support system for modders who face financial difficulties and are forced to quit modding and fight for survival.
There are already several such systems: Nexus collects donations for modders, there are quite a few 'donate to a [starving] artist' enterprises like Patreon/Subscribestar/Ko-fi, there are also Kickstarter and alternatives where people beg for money due to all sorts of things, from cancer treatments to criminals shooting them in the head while on vacation.

Any potential money you could get from the OpenXcom community even under the most fortuituous circumstances is going to be tiny, because the userbase just isn't there. Never mind that if we somehow magically did have a system of financial support, there would be a lot of incentive not to pay out to the poorest, but rather to those who contribute the most. Which won't really change much anything for the worst off.

Modding and even game dev in general are not and have never been an answer to financial problems, short of being a lucky founder/executive. Ask all the devs who sunk their life's savings into a pet project that never saw the daylight... :(

The solution is to use the free time you spend on modding to try to dig yourself out of that hole (learning new skills, looking for a better job, getting a side hustle, even navigating the bureaucracy to eke out a bit more support in more developed countries), not dig yourself further in.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 03:13:21 pm by Juku121 »

Offline _Raven_

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2024, 05:02:40 pm »
Everything is said correctly and clearly, you need to think about how to get out of the hole and not continue to bury yourself in failures.

The problem is that in my country it is almost impossible to get a job or find some kind of part-time job, in a country where there are wars, no one wants to hire anyone, and if they do, then they either pay less than $100 a month or come soldiers and demand from their superiors to send their workers to the military registration and enlistment office for a medical examination and military service (in simple words, they are taken to war, since there are always not enough soldiers, we are suffering huge losses).

Find some other talents that will help you earn money. I don’t even know what to think of, I can’t just sign up for programming lessons to become a famous programmer. To do this, you need at least some kind of equipment (I have nothing else except an old phone), and I’m not good at programming and my imagination isn’t the best either. The only talent that I suddenly discovered was the talent of modding, which gave me the opportunity to make changes to some games (the game "Galaxy on Fire 2 HD", have you heard of such a game, I converted it, improved the graphics and made my own mod, I can tell you where you can download my version of the game if anyone is interested), I can’t do anything else except mods.

Previously, my government at least gave assistance to poor citizens in the amount of $50 a month, now the president and politicians absolutely do not care about their citizens and they refused to help everyone in need, people are so weak that they simply cannot protest, and if they go to protest, then the army will shoot them for betraying their homeland.
That's why I started trying to convert my mods into financial assistance, I don't need much, I need to be given $1 for downloading my mod, so that I can at least receive up to $50 a month (a dorm room is very expensive for me , they have already raised the price to $100 per month, but our wifi internet is cheap, only $4 per month).

If they gave me a reward for the mod, then I would update and correct the mod (if they told me that the balance was broken and a bug was found here, they told me their opinion about the mod and how to make it more interesting, then it would be easier for me to make the mod ). If they gave me a job, for example they gave me an mp3 video and asked me to convert it into flc animation or something else that wouldn’t be too difficult (because I can’t make a mod like X-Files, but I can make some kind of addon for FMP , has already done, which updates the FMP mod to a new level of sound and video quality, new sprites, new sounds, flc animations and various additions).

Even the FMP mod is no longer popular, but my mod is a remastered version of FMP and I don’t think that my remastered version will make the FMP mod popular again. If my mod was popular and brought me several tens of dollars a month, then it would be a miracle for me, I would not only be able to pay for a dorm room, but would also prove to all modding haters that my mod (and openxcom in in general) is popular and players even give money in gratitude for the mod (and mods are like new parts of the game, they are more different from each other than xcom1 from xcom2, you don’t mind spending money on such mods), especially such popular mods as X -Files, FMP, Xeno Operations, TWoTS definitely deserve to be given money for them, but the authors of these mods don’t need money (they don’t need that kind of money from $1 to $100, but I really need it).

Also, if the authors of popular mods were given money that they don’t need, they could give it to me in return for making some improvements to these mods. This way I could try to make an honest living as an employee hired to improve popular mods (I could try to make changes from my mod to other mods if the authors are interested in something that is in my mod and not in their modes).
Several types of work have already appeared, adding an alternative ending, but all this is not in my specialty, something else may appear to order that I can do and earn honest money.

Modding in the openxcom community - is not a job in a company, mods - are not a business, creating mods -  is not a way to make money, but I hope that someday people will become more generous and everyone will start throwing coins into the piggy bank after or before downloading a mod, then I can I will realize all my modding talents and will be able to alleviate my financial problems (just alleviate them, not solve them completely).

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2024, 08:06:42 pm »
...in a country where there are wars, no one wants to hire anyone, and if they do, then they either pay less than $100 a month or come soldiers and demand from their superiors to send their workers to the military registration and enlistment office for a medical examination and military service (in simple words, they are taken to war, since there are always not enough soldiers, we are suffering huge losses).

Previously, my government at least gave assistance to poor citizens in the amount of $50 a month, now the president and politicians absolutely do not care about their citizens and they refused to help everyone in need, people are so weak that they simply cannot protest, and if they go to protest, then the army will shoot them for betraying their homeland.
In that case your problem is not 'bad finances', it's "relatively meek person in war-damaged country". Historically, there's been no good solution to that. I suggest considering emigration instead of hoping for modding to provide what it doesn't provide to almost anyone, anywhere, even in countries far better off than that.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 08:09:53 pm by Juku121 »

Offline _Raven_

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2024, 03:28:47 pm »
I suggest considering emigration instead of hoping for modding
Spoiler:
The problem is that emigration is impossible, the government in a terrible country called Ukraine holds all its citizens hostage, does not allow them to leave the country, moreover, our government constantly catches civilians and throws them into a war in which no one wants to take participation. We are forced to fight, we are not allowed out of the country, neither into European countries nor into Russian-controlled territories. (emigration is only for rich people who have $40,000, I don’t have that kind of money to bribe soldiers at the border and go to Poland, for example, I’m not even sure that even for that kind of money they will let me out, most likely I won’t even get to the border, I’ll be dropped off at the next checkpoint and sent to the military registration and enlistment office).

Most residents of our country dream of Russia defeating this terrorist government of Ukraine. I don’t know if Europeans are afraid of Russia and whether they consider it a terrible aggressive country, but if you are afraid of Russia, then look at Ukraine from the inside, it is much worse.

This is all dirty politics that destroys civilians and I will not have these political discussions with you, I just told the truth so that the world knows what is really happening in Ukraine and explained why I cannot emigrate to a normal country and just work.

I agree that Russia may have its own political interests and may benefit from all this, but Ukrainian patriotism is political propaganda (despite the fact that many Ukrainians are truly true patriots, it is still false propaganda).

It's time to stop discussing politics, there is no need to argue and fight among ourselves just because everyone has their own opinion.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:08:10 pm by _Raven_ »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2024, 04:40:04 pm »
Spoiler" Really offtopic now":
Let me just say that my personal experience with Russia, Russians, Ukrainians and Ukrainian refugees does not quite agree with your picture of it.

I agree that war sucks, getting press-ganged into it sucks worse, and Ukraine is a country wrestling with a giant pile of problems, most of them self-inflicted. But at least it's trying. I strongly disagree with your idea that surrender or defeat would make things better, even for Russia.

In any case, if you think life in Ukraine is worse than under Russia and it's too hard to go over the western and northern borders, there is always the option to defect to Russia or its new colonies. There are people who (presumably) make money as propagandist streamers for the reconstruction of Mariupol. That's in all likelihood an order of magnitude or two more income than you'd ever get from modding anything.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 04:44:14 pm by Juku121 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2024, 07:24:59 pm »
Guys, this is getting way off-topic. I sympathize with your situation, but this is not the place for it. If you wanna chat further, take it to DMs.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2024, 09:52:43 pm »
Since the thread has been resolved, and then started going in an inappropriate direction, I am locking it.