aliens

Author Topic: So what do you think of the firaxis Xcom 12'?  (Read 12077 times)

Offline redrat9595

• Sergeant
  • Good Times
    • View Profile
Re: So what do you think of the firaxis Xcom 12'?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 02:19:25 am »

... It is stand-alone though so if you are thinking of buying XCOM: EU just hold off and buy the expansion "Enemy Within" instead.

Not quite sure where you got that. From the long trusted UFOPaedia, "The PC will be sold as traditional DLC through Steam but the console owners will have to buy the Commander's Edition, consisting of Enemy Unknown, plus the Elite Soldier Pack, Slingshot and Enemy Within DLCs."

I'm pretty sure it's not standalone.

In any case, I liked the game and I think I'm going to get the expansion. Slingshot was a bit of a letdown, but this one looks pretty good. What I'm really hoping for is action flag modability. Chryssalids feel a bit underpowered to me compared to the original. I want to give them a third so they can jog in from out of sight, kill someone, and slink back into an alley. I almost feel bad blasting them in the face because I feel like they should run away.

On a related note, one of the few things I liked about TFTD was the Tentaculats. So I think Chryssalids should be able to jump up and hit flying soldiers for reduced damage, or the expansion should include flying mech chryssalids with rockets for legs, armor ignoring plasma mandibles, and eggs that hatch on zombie death.That would at least balance the lack of retreat.

Overall good game, but it makes me miss the days of games like Dawn of War where everything was possible with a value change and, on heavy jobs, some LUA scripting. I would bring back some double digit stats and replace flags with TU'S. Modability is the point to sell if you want to please the masses, but hook niche gamers who still care about stuff like OXC. I really hope Firaxis turns that around, because they promised modding, and all I've seen is editing.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 05:38:14 am »
Sometimes the AI is messed up.  I had 3 aliens walk right up to my assault.  Next round instead of attacking, they fled.  That was a joke.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 12:51:57 pm »
Isn't that the definition of an expansion? :P And AFAIK it's only standalone on consoles.

Yeah I suppose I'm being a bit silly :P I'm just used to times when expansion packs were an expansion of the story instead of just replacing stuff of the original (Brood War for Starcraft). I'm just being annoying when I'm saying it's not an expansion pack because it can be viewed as such but it doesn't fit into my narrow traditional viewpoint. DLC's seem to cover the term that expansion packs dont, like there is the Slingshot DLC and Enemy Within just seems like an upgraded version of that. In my mind an expansion pack is like a sequel to a game but using the same engine and code while DLC is additional content for the base game which can include extra stories/missions but these typically don't occur at the end of the game.

Anyway feel free to disagree :P

In regards to stand-alone I heard mixed sources on that so I may be wrong on that but I do remember it being said it was going to be standalone on PC and Console. I think even for PC it will practically be stand-alone even though it's marketed as DLC and might require the base game for Steam to run it even though all the files might be there in the DLC, I will do some tests when I get it. Basically don't be surprised if 'Enemy Within' is more then 20GB download :P