aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3716026 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99E.1 - 13 Nov - Dead in Space
« Reply #3615 on: November 18, 2016, 02:57:26 am »
Night missions give you more trouble? I tried to do as much as I could at night to leverage the NV advantage.  You do know about the night vision mode, right (holding spacebar or pressing scroll lock, can be changed in options)? Once you get camoflage or +NV armor, you don't even really need much cover, being out of vision range works well.

I will agree the Reticulan missions are tough without cover.  They have better NV and can see through smoke better, plus the voodoo based accuracy of the lasguns means you take a lot of hits.

Offline KateMicucci

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: November 18, 2016, 03:38:19 am »
I know IRL you can use cased ammo in space, though you might have more luck with self propelled weaponry, that equal and opposite bit is kind of a bitch. You might also be able to use them underwater, but the range is supposed to be measured in feet.
Indeed even a flintlock musket would work in space. Gunpowder contains its own oxygen. Underwater however, not only would the bullet not fly very far in the water but the weapon would probably burst from the extra pressure.

The Clockwork Gun is effective even at a distance with fire teams because 2 hits usually does them in.
It is interesting to hear other people's strategies. The clockwork gun is one that I never used because by the time they were available there was already a ready supply of much better guns. Now that musket balls are functionally different that changes the math.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: November 18, 2016, 03:59:14 am »
You do know about the night vision mode, right (holding spacebar or pressing scroll lock, can be changed in options)?
had... no... idea...
glad to know now, that could be crazy useful based on my game style

yeah the blue reticulan laser thing is just insane accurate, thats why I throw explosive apples at the hybrids (and a musket ball to the back if she's still standing), I mean it usually doesnt kill my ladies but I prefer not having my best hands spend 40 days in the infirmary.

also whats the deal with the gazer/cyclops aliens? they spit purple goo thats real nasty but... ive landed like 20 hits on them and they're not going down from anything, are we talking power armor defense here or what... I could literally do nothing to them and I just died so I didn't even bother with the mission. I can understand if they're just immune to stun damage, but it just means im going to have to go after them with plasma/explosives later on and walk away from any missions I find them in.

It is interesting to hear other people's strategies. The clockwork gun is one that I never used because
Functionally different? What changed?

Yeah it does 40 damage 3 times, if you're a melee person like me thats like ~100 damage on somebody if you can get all of them to hit. Even with the +armor adjustment its still pretty nasty since it only takes one of those to roll high and with personal armor they're still going to be hurting for 10-30 health. I also use it as a scenery breaker in maps like the shanytowns because for some reason musketballs can blow a giant hole in a wooden fence.
(but it is slow to reload, and accuracy means if you're not right up on somebody you're probably gonna miss at least once, and it means every 3 ball musket clip is now 1 shot).

Its cheap, and more importantly its a pistol, it can be used with something else in your hand like a magna-lite. The ammo is cheap. An i-Gun costs a ton for its batteries and it only gets a 2 shot burst, and as the bootypedia explains many enemies with armor have added resistance to plasma anyway (and because of statistical clips rules id rather not shoot it more for the favor of possibly keeping that clip).

re underwater:

Some guns can fire underwater but rather than accuracy being impacted its the weapon power that will be, and every space is going to cost at least 10 weapon power (maybe 2 if its something like a jet harpoon rifle).

In real life navy seals carry glocks and may use them underwater but its basically like a melee reach weapon so that you can shoot somebody 5 feet away from you before they get up close with a knife. Underwater a bullet will only travel about 7 feet and retain lethality (whether its .22 LR, 9mm, or 45acp they're all the same). Rifle bullets travel about the same, except that if you're shooting into water the high velocity will shatter the bullet and you end up with about 3 feet of lethality instead of 7.

This was slightly unrealistic in regard to TFTD... but the hydro-jet weapon was okay, a high speed supercavitating magnesium fuelled miniature torpedo (supposedly with a tiny explosive tip warhead, much larger warhead for HE rounds). Firing a 25mm mini-torpedo underwater going about 250mph is like being shot with a big Crossbow and it would have just as much range too.

My question is I wonder if it would be possible to Replace items temporarily in openxcom based on the environment, then give you back the equivalent normal item if you still have the temporary one...

Then you can have the game "gives the player the Underwater Harpoon" and takes their normal Harpoon, the underwater version looks the same and everything but its got a short maximum range and loses power. End of the mission for each underwater harpoon they recover, they get a Harpoon back instead.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:06:40 am by RSSwizard »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: November 18, 2016, 04:05:49 am »
had... no... idea...
glad to know now, that could be crazy useful based on my game style

This is why it pays to read the Bootypedia. Seriously, read the starting articles, your life will improve. :)

As for the Cyclops, they're a brick wall.  Keep hitting them, they'll go down, probably stunned.  Then research them, both dead and alive.
Spoiler:
Their average resistance to all damage types is about 50%, and they have a health bar to make a muton envious.  Not a ton of armor though, just the resistances.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: November 18, 2016, 04:30:52 am »
This is why it pays to read the Bootypedia. Seriously, read the starting articles, your life will improve. :)
lawl I thought I did!

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: November 18, 2016, 04:51:14 am »
As far as I'm aware, the I-Gun was specifically designed to be mostly useless, at least to us, a few shots from it are still going to hurt.

Offline KateMicucci

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: November 18, 2016, 04:59:39 am »
it just means im going to have to go after them with plasma/explosives later on and walk away from any missions I find them in.
Functionally different? What changed?

Until very recently, musket balls did 29 damage instead of 40 damage. There was no reason to build clockwork guns when you already had magnums, confederate eagles, skorpions, submachine guns and maybe even a couple laspistols by then.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3622 on: November 18, 2016, 09:37:56 am »
In real life navy seals carry glocks and may use them underwater but its basically like a melee reach weapon so that you can shoot somebody 5 feet away from you before they get up close with a knife. Underwater a bullet will only travel about 7 feet and retain lethality (whether its .22 LR, 9mm, or 45acp they're all the same). Rifle bullets travel about the same, except that if you're shooting into water the high velocity will shatter the bullet and you end up with about 3 feet of lethality instead of 7.

Lol US Military is so middle ages sometimes :) No, you need a dedicated weapon if you're serious about underwater combat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS_underwater_rifle

EDIT:

But how would you make them meaningfully harder for the opposing choice, when each only grants a somewhat narrow set of additions?

It's quite easy, in broad terms - would need a lot of polishing, naturally.
To get the Green codex: "Fetid Tomb": punishing environment with substantial constant damage/turn; enemies immune to MC and Seduction, resistant to fire, explosives, equipped with psi vision (favoring the Bio-Suit).
To get the Gray codex: "Tower of Illussions": invisible enemies with armor-ignoring attacks, highly resistant to everything but Stun, who are quite weak against MC. (favoring Witch and Ghost).
To get the Red codex: "Castle of Blood": Chaos Marine types, high armor, high melee, use super-gauss pistols with deadly accuracy, haver great vision and good resistances. Will require adding a 'demon knight' armor that gives some sort of parity (heavy melee counterpart of Ragnarok). Best fought with extreme weapons like the Hellblade to overcome their insane armor.
To get the Golden codex: "The Golden Palace". A bit like the previous, but less armor/HP, much more speed & reactions, more destructive weapons. The only weakness: Special damage. Fairly dense, mazelike map favours speed and psi vision of the Magical Girl outfit.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:19:36 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Narvi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: November 18, 2016, 02:07:08 pm »
I researched a live bloodhound, but I'm not getting any analysis page.

Offline Dyne

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: November 18, 2016, 03:10:06 pm »
Space missions give life support, should have guessed.
Dioxine is best Dioxine.

It will help a lot if bootypedia will mention if a craft is spaceworthy too.
Cheers, love!

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: November 18, 2016, 03:18:34 pm »
The research that unlocks space missions gives a general rule for spaceworthy craft (interceptors and gunships), and at least one Bonny variant mentions that it can climb into orbit.  But the Pachyderm and Deliverator don't mention it, which they probably should.

Offline Dyne

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: November 18, 2016, 04:14:20 pm »
Yeah, i only tried a Pachyderm by chance.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3627 on: November 18, 2016, 04:29:12 pm »
Fortuna and Pachyderm Pedia articles mention their space capabilities, while Pachyderm and Deliverator can clearly be seen over space background, which should be enough of an info :)

Offline Dyne

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: November 18, 2016, 04:39:31 pm »
Paxhyderm booty article doesnt mention its orbit-worthy, sadly.
Just add a line, like with poor Fortuna, when you can.
Alternatively a list in 'Space Missions' will help, though more spoilery.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99E.2 - 18 Nov - Dead in Space 2
« Reply #3629 on: November 18, 2016, 05:12:40 pm »
New version released. I didn't have the intention to, but all these embarrassing bugs needed to be fixed.
Since I don't have as much time now, it was mostly polishing, balancing and bugfixing (hope all annoying bugs were squashed), although there is one new 'nice' mission to try. For details, check the change log in the first post. Have fun.