aliens

Author Topic: Some of your most Bizarre missions?  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Some of your most Bizarre missions?
« on: September 14, 2023, 08:50:48 pm »
For me it was...
Small Striker ship
It was loaded to the gills with Sectopods (15 in all).

I'm not even sure how this is possible, it must have been a glitch.. but I swear one of them through a gas grenade at me from 50 tiles away. I thought this is not even possible maybe there was an alien behind him, but the Sectopod was the last target left. Was just a real oddity.

Those and the Troop ships are some of my favorites.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Some of your most Bizarre missions?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 05:23:47 pm »
About these Sectopods, it's not actually a bug... But maybe it needs a better design. I'll think about it.

EDIT: Actually it's pretty confusing to untangle. Could you please provide a save? And do you know what alien mission it was?

By the way, it's a cool thread, I like it. I hope to see more oddities, and hopefully not bugs. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 05:29:34 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 11:34:06 pm »
About these Sectopods, it's not actually a bug... But maybe it needs a better design. I'll think about it.

EDIT: Actually it's pretty confusing to untangle. Could you please provide a save? And do you know what alien mission it was?

By the way, it's a cool thread, I like it. I hope to see more oddities, and hopefully not bugs. :)

I do not have a save. I honestly tried to reproduce this a few times on this one save. But I had to move like 4 guys in same exact positions, it just wouldn't work (wasn't possible to reproduce) I couldn't remember the exact locations of those soldiers.

But it was super cool, I love little oddities like that, even more so when your not expecting it. They are like easter eggs.

I've seen Striker ships before but those were medium crafts. I believe it was similar to this one.
Ironically, these are all single doors I believe. No way for Scetops to get out of craft.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 11:04:31 am »
OK, then I need to find it somehow on my own.
If someone gets such a situation, please let me know. :)

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 04:59:22 pm »
Ah, got old one before Solarius patched it (didnt get it again yet) but it was Terror mission in a port map, which caused the port to spawn inside of the city itself, splitting the map in half by the water.

At one point i was like "ah shit, no flying armor, wtf am i suppose to do ?".
Then after few moments i was like "Oh hold on, the Sectopods primary laser might be strong enough to melt the dock titles, clearing way through" before i tried other weapons, the heavy blaster also seems to be capable of it and if went back to my craft i assume explosives would do as well.

So XCOM just had to play Minecraft and just dig a way through for infantry to pass

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 05:10:22 pm »
Just had a MIB Striker ship. Those are bad ass. They carry elite forces (including a MIB commander) which helped me unlock
Spoiler:
MIB Lunar

Was a total grenade fest. At one point, my guys couldn't step out of the ship without getting pelted by grenades. Proceed with caution.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 05:11:27 pm »

So XCOM just had to play Minecraft and just dig a way through for infantry to pass

This is super cool. I love oddities like this.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 12:11:28 am »
This latest game was a bit different. I saw something I've never seen before.
Spoilers coming ...

Spoiler:
Terror missions full of only Ethereal servitors (the red ones) and two Eliminator Ethreals (the black ones). The eliminator Ethreals are similar to Muton shadors. You can't see them until your right on top of them (I believe within 8 to 10 tiles).
I had a few of these missions. I believe the hyperwave decoder says "Order of earth" for Alien mission type.

Super cool.

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 07:21:30 pm »
OK here's one. Not exactly "most bizzare", but...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 07:30:15 pm by Stone Lake »

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 01:05:55 pm »
OK here's one. Not exactly "most bizzare", but...
WTH the playstyle is it?
I mean no offense, but what was the aim for such weird moves?

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2023, 01:18:42 pm »
No ammo? Or what do you mean specifically?

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2023, 07:03:27 pm »
No ammo? Or what do you mean specifically?

I liked and subscribed to your channel  :D

That benny hill soundtrack was perfect.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2023, 07:08:33 pm »
WTH the playstyle is it?

Trying to avoid being zombified I presume. Those early missions when trying to take live prisoners can be challenging.
Also.. everyone plays the game a bit differently. We build our own strategy that has carried over 30 years.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2023, 08:27:50 pm »
Recently I shot down such a cool UFO. Averages, spans, flyers. He flew out. There are 30 legionnaire flyers on the map around UFOs. I was lucky with the respawn. The iron fist rests against the upper edge of the map with a ramp. Well, like, keeping a low profile, let's shoot back. And you know what? I pass the turn, and the basketball begins in the hatch of the iron fist. 10-15 plasma grenades per turn were thrown and delivered. They even threw and blew up one dog a couple of times. By the way, in my memorial there are two extreme agents killed just from this mission. On the plates of the spans, the Aliens always have the fiercest weapons. Even two photon spears taked.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2023, 11:25:25 pm »
Recently I shot down such a cool UFO. Averages, spans, flyers. He flew out. There are 30 legionnaire flyers on the map around UFOs. I was lucky with the respawn. The iron fist rests against the upper edge of the map with a ramp. Well, like, keeping a low profile, let's shoot back. And you know what? I pass the turn, and the basketball begins in the hatch of the iron fist. 10-15 plasma grenades per turn were thrown and delivered. They even threw and blew up one dog a couple of times. By the way, in my memorial there are two extreme agents killed just from this mission. On the plates of the spans, the Aliens always have the fiercest weapons. Even two photon spears taked.

I hate losing good agents on missions like this but the excitement value is huge. Especially when you see something you have never seen before. That is the cool thing about RNG. It can either be so frustrating or so amazing.

What I find to be ironic is how difficult it is to deal with small ufo's early to mid game. it seems like those first few ufo's you encounter are on steroids.
I know it gets easier because x com gets better technology but I swear those first couple small ufo's are so difficult to deal with.