aliens

Author Topic: [WIP] Xeno Operations LEGACY  (Read 22013 times)

Offline Hadan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Xeno Operations LEGACY
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2024, 08:00:51 am »
Do you have any plans to release them as a seperate mod?

Offline B1ackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2024, 08:19:43 am »
Good news!, another new Development Update:

In a nutshell, the upcoming patch has grown larger than anticipated. But What started as a routine bug-fixing endeavor in the research tree (thanks Scamps for the report) soon evolved into a series of enhancements, culminating in the decision to embark on a substantial overhaul of certain research pathways. This expansion also includes the introduction of new technologies and aircraft to address pacing issues.

To bridge the gap and diversify options, i want to introduce a new interceptor and transport ship. The interceptor will likely be a variant of the F35 with Xelloy upgrades, while the transport ship is being crafted from scratch. Designed to be slower than the standard Firefly but with an increased troop capacity (number not final, but 24 troopers for now), it won't be capable of lifting any type of tanks. This should provide balance and fairness by having a larger platoon size in exchange of heavy support.

Preliminary tests against a BRUTAL AI have shown promising results. Even increasing troop counts still poses a challenge, rather than simply being capable of outright overwhel the enemy with sheer numbers. Other crafts will undergo tweaks to accommodate these changes, including adjustments to stats and potentially battlescape layouts, time permitting.

Additionally, expect significant alterations to tank and support unit mechanics, along with quality-of-life improvements in manufacturing, such as batch production of ammunition.

While these changes promise a substantial upgrade, I'm unable to provide an exact release date at this time. Rest assured, progress is steady.

The new transport ship is nearly complete, heavily inspired by the DR4-Viking, a personal favorite. I've tried to capture its essence the better i could.

Stay tuned for further updates as development progresses. Your feedback and support are invaluable.

This is the current WIP of the craft, codenamed SCARAB:

EDIT: the design is finished, its the last four pictures
[DESIRE TO KNOW MORE INTENSIFIES]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 01:52:02 am by blackwolf »

Offline B1ackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Today at 07:43:37 pm »
Greetings everyone, first of all a summary if you want to skip all the blabbering.

TL;DR: the new update will introduce a wealth of new content and touch upon many aspects of the mod files. Therefore, it will be impossible to maintain compatibility with current campaigns. Please take the necessary precautions. Sorry for the inconveniences.

I apologize for my absence from the forums and here this month, but rest assured, it's because I've been fully immersed in the progress of the mod. As stated previously, what initially began as a routine bug-fixing patch has evolved into something much larger. Each possible solution to a problem led to additional work to ensure it was properly resolved. Instead of simply patching things temporarily and moving forward, I made the decision to take the time to address many pending issues thoroughly. However, the scope of the changes in the upcoming update will render it absolutely incompatible with your current campaigns. Therefore, I advise wrapping them up before the update arrives.

To give you an idea of what the new update will bring: new melee and explosive weapons, along with some new utility items. There's also the possibility of introducing a new line of elite weaponry for aliens (although this might be pushed to the next patch due to the extensive testing and balancing required). The update will include new aircraft, a fighter and a troop transport ship named Scarab, which I've already shared here in the thread. Additionally, there will be new base facilities, along with reworked basebits sprites, and new gameplay mechanics for base building. The manufacturing process has been rebalanced and improved, and the tech tree has been entirely redone for the first time since the creation of the original XOPs MOD. Economy, research time, and scientist utilization have also been balanced accordingly. Furthermore, there are new mechanics for tanks and support units (although the inclusion of new tank sprites may require additional work before implementation).

On the armor front, work is underway on new sprites for other armors, with the tier one Kevlar vest retouched again. The second tier is nearing completion, and the pilot armors have been entirely recolored from blueish to red. Doggo sprites have been smoothed out, among many other changes that will be detailed in the changelog upon release.

Additionally, the game interfaces are undergoing a complete overhaul to adapt them to the battlescape UI's blueish-gray palette. While this transformation may not be completed for this patch, gradual progress is being made. Lastly, there are general balance adjustments to various aspects of the economy and damage output, weights, and other elements of the mod.

I'm in the final stages of development, but I may need a few extra weeks to tie up loose ends. Stay tuned for more updates and information.

Thank you for your patience and support.