aliens

Author Topic: What's left to implement finishable game?  (Read 19696 times)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
What's left to implement finishable game?
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:50:02 am »
Thanks to Warboy's super crazy coding speed lot of things has been implemented recently :D

I wonder, what's left to implement finishable game - so we can fight cydonia mission. I guess biggest thing left is AI geoscape?

Btw, maybe it would be good to update feature list:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Development_History_%28OpenXcom%29

And changelog:

https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/CHANGELOG.txt

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: What's left to implement finishable game?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 01:20:34 pm »
Btw, maybe it would be good to update feature list:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Development_History_%28OpenXcom%29
Wow, when did you (or someone else?) create this list?
I've not yet seen it, i was waiting it for long time.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:39:38 pm »
- the introductory cinematic
- cydonia
- geoscape AI 
- alien retaliation 
- game over conditions 
- base defenses (to include mind shield, grav shield and all forms of surface-to-air defense, and the associated popup screen) 
- base defense missions (see below)

everything for base defenses IS implemented, but unavailable in the "new battle" menu, because it has no base to reference.

possible fix for the new battle issue: open a menu to select a saved game, and then select a base from that game.

i have no idea how to do this. if someone wants to save me the trouble of learning the ins and outs of the yaml-cpp library and do it for me, i will have your babies. if not, well, expect it, just don't expect it immediately.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:14:04 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline karvanit

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 03:18:25 pm »
I'm working on getting the alien missions working, the rule data is in, I just need to use it and save it.
(see my thread on the subject).

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 05:31:58 am »
i guess i'll work on the base defense screen and game over conditions, since battlescape-related stuff seems to be Daiky's field, and i wouldn't know where to begin with cydonia, since it's mission generation is so radically different from regular.

like for example i'm fairly sure it uses the "mixed" alien list, with fixed alien numbers, it starts a new mission immediately if you win the first one, it game overs if you fail, and i think the final mission isn't randomly generated, but rather the tiles are laid out in a pre-set fashion. (i'm probably wrong here, it's been a while)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:09:49 am »
looking at the code, it seems like everything for base defenses IS implemented, but unavailable in the "new battle" menu, because it has no base to reference. it seems that these COULD be generated on the geoscape, however.
It might be a nice idea to have "Load Save Data" in "New Battle" anyway, because then you can use your already saved team+weapons. One thing I found a ballache with New Game was trying to set up my skyranger each time.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:39 am »
Base defense battlescape generation is are already in since January! :)
Mind control is also implemented as far as I remember...

I'm happy to code Cydonia, it's all finished in my head, just need to type it out in code ;) The trickiest bit is the two-stage game feature. This will be needed for TFTD anyway.

edit: I think everything that says "unknown" on battlescape development is implemented, but it should be tested to make sure.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:51:10 am by Daiky »

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 11:28:46 am »
The trickiest bit is the two-stage game feature. This will be needed for TFTD anyway.
TFTD's last mission is a three-stage one :D

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:09:20 am »
TFTD's last mission is a three-stage one :D
That's why I think it should be flexible, so you can have as many stages as you want :)

Offline DiceMaster

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:27:55 am »
That's why I think it should be flexible, so you can have as many stages as you want :)
Yeah, five stage terror ship will be nice :)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 12:28:57 pm »
concerning the multi-stage missions: I think it would be nice to get the option to continue on a "stage" even after all aliens have been killed. if you consider cydonia, there have always been ammo issues, usually forcing players to collect ammo along the way (unless bringing lasers only). for that, many times you would keep one alien alive to collect all ammo before killing the last alien to continue.
this "exploit" could be avoided if you would get a notification instead: "All aliens have been killed or neutralized. Continue to next level? Continue/Stay"

(this would also be nice for other missions, I think. especially for playtesting :) kill all the aliens and then continue to have fun by blasting trees and burning houses...)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 12:57:51 pm »
Or by just auto-collecting all the items.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 02:19:35 pm »
Easy to program, but too easy for in-game purposes. I'd rather have random alien re-spawns during those extra turns, to be honest :)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 02:44:59 pm »
TFTD two-stage missions were built with this concept in mind. The briefing screen even says so, but the mechanics are not present.

The README said that the availability of the items from one stage to another was removed to make the game more challenging, but I suspect this is just a bug that they did not manage to solve.

Or was it that the items are only supposed to be recovered at the end of the mission, not at the end of a stage?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 02:46:05 pm »
concerning the multi-stage missions: I think it would be nice to get the option to continue on a "stage" even after all aliens have been killed. if you consider cydonia, there have always been ammo issues, usually forcing players to collect ammo along the way (unless bringing lasers only). for that, many times you would keep one alien alive to collect all ammo before killing the last alien to continue.
this "exploit" could be avoided if you would get a notification instead: "All aliens have been killed or neutralized. Continue to next level? Continue/Stay"

(this would also be nice for other missions, I think. especially for playtesting :) kill all the aliens and then continue to have fun by blasting trees and burning houses...)
It probably didn't help that TFTD often glitched out and lost all your ammo between stages. :P The best solution would be to just "auto-recover" between stages to avoid mindless scavenging.

TFTD two-stage missions were built with this concept in mind. The briefing screen even says so, but the mechanics are not present.

The README said that the availability of the items from one stage to another was removed to make the game more challenging, but I suspect this is just a bug that they did not manage to solve.

Or was it that the items are only supposed to be recovered at the end of the mission, not at the end of a stage?
I would guess that's just an excuse because TFTD still has the original item table limit, which would definitely break if you accumulated stuff between stages (and even then it still glitched out a lot).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:48:30 pm by SupSuper »