Author Topic: Endless play / no Cydonia  (Read 1029 times)

Offline ibanix

• Captain
    • View Profile
Endless play / no Cydonia
« on: July 09, 2023, 10:56:29 am »
Hello all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section. Please feel free to move to wherever is more appropriate.

I love Xcom... but I love the battles, interception and base management. The race to get o Cydonia isn't actually all that fun for me. I would like to play more of the former. In other words, I would like some sort of mod where I can play "forever" without the Cydonia mission being the fixed ending point, or some sort of alternative victory condition.

Yes, I'm aware I could simply just not go to Cydonia and keep playing. That isn't what I'm getting at, because the game will just ramp up the spam of UFOs so high that no human player could possibly keep up. The game is designed to try to force the player to finish Cydonia or die.

Is there a middle ground here where there is no Cydonia mission available and alternate victory conditions? Or, some high-but-manageable level of alien activity where the goal can then become "how long can we survive"?

Thanks in advance.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Endless play / no Cydonia
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 11:42:26 am »
One easy alternative would be playing a mod that introduces so much content that it would take even months of playtime to get to Cydonia. For example, X-Com Files, but there are others.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 01:47:29 pm »
Yes, I'm aware I could simply just not go to Cydonia and keep playing. That isn't what I'm getting at, because the game will just ramp up the spam of UFOs so high that no human player could possibly keep up. The game is designed to try to force the player to finish Cydonia or die.
I recall that you can easy manage all UFOs if you have enough avengers, only real limitation is countries that leave projects.
Beside even if rap up of ufors is too much then you can always change it in rulesets to be less.

Offline ibanix

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 05:42:14 am »
I recall that you can easy manage all UFOs if you have enough avengers, only real limitation is countries that leave projects.
Beside even if rap up of ufors is too much then you can always change it in rulesets to be less.

Oh, that's interesting. Could you point me to a reference on how to do that? Thank you.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 10:55:51 am »
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Mission_Scripts
For usage check some bigger mods that alter it to fit its themes