Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 765021 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.i - 6 May - Tanks und Fashion
« Reply #1230 on: May 07, 2015, 07:16:20 pm »
Whoops. Find STR_ALIEN_HABITAT in the Piratez.rul, under Research, add # in front of the line. This will take care of the crash (I forgot to add assets). Reload to before you started researching the disk, and you should get access to any remaining datadisk researches (if there are any left).

As for the dynamite & other batch production:
The number of resources vs. number of produced is actually irrelevant. What it is important, is time, convenience and some sort of realism. Sure, nothing is perfect, but batch production disallows to finish a single instance of an item within a blink; you need to start for example 10 items and wait 10x longer.

Making dynamite, ammo etc. takes time, requires usage of machines, so it'd be impractical to produce them one item at a time. Molotovs and Bombs are an exception: they're not manufactured on any machines, they're hand-made, so you can give each runt some resources, order them to make this stuff and they will. That's why they can be manufactured apiece and thus so quickly. On the other side of the spectrum, with guns and armor, the pirate enterprise simply doesn't have required assembly lines, so they have to be hand-made one item at the time as well.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 07, 2015, 07:29:56 pm »
Man.. the amount of thoughts you put into this is impressive.

I've kind of dissociated logic and gaming elements for XCom because many things are done to make the game a game. You have made the game a simulator where everything actually makes some coherent sense, that makes Piratez an even more crazy (good!) mod than I thought of before :D

Thanks for the ruleset fix too btw.
@pilot00: You got all of those topics?! There's so many! I tried not to look because of spoilers but my brain can't contain it all any ways..

Now I'm off enjoying the plunder of yet another trader freighter. Those ships are awesome money makers! (Filled the vaults already with the first one.. I had to sell pretty much everything for the 2nd which made millions! and now I've got a 3rd one in sight 8))
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:34:06 pm by Arthanor »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 07, 2015, 07:35:20 pm »
Man.. the amount of thoughts you put into this is impressive.

I've kind of dissociated logic and gaming elements for XCom because many things are done to make the game a game. You have made the game a simulator where everything actually makes some coherent sense, that makes Piratez an even more crazy (good!) mod than I thought of before :D

Thanks for the ruleset fix too btw.
@pilot00: You got all of those topics?! There's so many! I tried not to look because of spoilers but my brain can't contain it all any ways..

Now I'm off enjoying the plunder of yet another trader freighter. Those ships are awesome money makers! (Filled the vaults already with the first one.. I had to sell pretty much everything for the 2nd which made millions! and now I've got a 3rd one in sight 8))

Just dont get used to the money, I had exactly the same thoughts about it, when the freighters came about. But the pace of R&D and the requirements the enemy puts...yeah you wont keep those millions for long :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #1233 on: May 07, 2015, 07:51:35 pm »
Love the name of this update hehehe. "Und" doesn't mean "and", right?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 07, 2015, 08:24:30 pm »
Yeah.. but a pirate lives in the moment, right? ;D

I've saved some money from the last (2nd) one, but also used it to make my 2nd hideout; the first mostly went into filling the vaults with plastasteel and nuclear fuel, and hiring a few more brainers (I am not looking forward to my maintenance bill now...). I wish I had more storage to keep some bits of the 3rd one, but it'll probably all be sold as well, and go to a 3rd hideout/outpost (~1 million) and the rest will be saved again.

I've found ransoms to be quite a money maker, even if it is just G.O.s. The main problem I have now is radar & interceptor coverage.. I'm thinking of interceptor outposts + a zeppelin deployed wherever the action seems to be according to the graphs.

@Mr. Quiet: "und" means "and" in German. I assume that's what it was meant as here since we got improved tanks and more fashionable pirates and rides.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 07, 2015, 08:55:42 pm »
Yeah.. but a pirate lives in the moment, right? ;D

I've saved some money from the last (2nd) one, but also used it to make my 2nd hideout; the first mostly went into filling the vaults with plastasteel and nuclear fuel, and hiring a few more brainers (I am not looking forward to my maintenance bill now...). I wish I had more storage to keep some bits of the 3rd one, but it'll probably all be sold as well, and go to a 3rd hideout/outpost (~1 million) and the rest will be saved again.

I've found ransoms to be quite a money maker, even if it is just G.O.s. The main problem I have now is radar & interceptor coverage.. I'm thinking of interceptor outposts + a zeppelin deployed wherever the action seems to be according to the graphs.

@Mr. Quiet: "und" means "and" in German. I assume that's what it was meant as here since we got improved tanks and more fashionable pirates and rides.

Same thing I did as well. Maintenance will be negative for a loooong time. Just make sure you have enough to get by. Radar coverage, well is not as hard as it sounds. The large radar system covers a huge swath, I havent tried zepelins. Dont have the space to waste a hangar for it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 07, 2015, 10:34:47 pm »
I like the idea of zeppelins, but they need to be used along with interceptor bases. My idea is to build cheap interceptor hideouts with lift + hangar + outpost (for all in one radar, storage and garrison in case I think it's needed), then have one hangar in my main base with a zeppelin. Every month when the new mission is launched, relocate the zeppelin to go keep a lookout there. When it spots a UFO, scramble the closest interceptor.

We'll see how the plans turns out.. It'll probably be a failure but it sounds good right now and I like zeppelins! ;)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 08, 2015, 07:26:19 am »
PROSPECTOR ships are really good at offsetting costs for maintenance. They have positive maintenance, or they bring money in instead of spending. One of these per base and the whole hideout is an asset instead of a liability. Expand for runts for a rum/chips factory and the economics of the game are not longer a problem.

Also a ZEPPELIN are great for delaying a pogrom mission until day-time  ;)

After that these ships are great to close holes of radar coverage within bases.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 08, 2015, 10:06:30 am »
Dioxine

Just to let you know, if you update to the latest nightly, the mod will now use the basic game names - not the Piratez names.

Is this hardcoded or can we change it in the rulesets?

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 08, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »
PROSPECTOR ships are really good at offsetting costs for maintenance. They have positive maintenance, or they bring money in instead of spending. One of these per base and the whole hideout is an asset instead of a liability. Expand for runts for a rum/chips factory and the economics of the game are not longer a problem.

Also a ZEPPELIN are great for delaying a pogrom mission until day-time  ;)

After that these ships are great to close holes of radar coverage within bases.

Wow, great ideas, I havent thought of the zeppelin one with the progrom  :o

I can build a prospector already but truth be told I havent enslaved enough people nor wanted to since I noticed that the stats of vault storage dont change. How much of income are we talking about?

And yeah manufacturing rum and chips is a good way to stay afloat in the early game, but by mid-late my main income comes from loot. My runts were always busy building guns ammo and armor. One should also not underestimate the gains to be had from leather armors and cooking too.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1240 on: May 08, 2015, 02:07:21 pm »
Dioxine

Just to let you know, if you update to the latest nightly, the mod will now use the basic game names - not the Piratez names.

Is this hardcoded or can we change it in the rulesets?

New nightly comes with big changes to how mods are handled, upgrading is not recommended until I will prepare a version that works with it.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1241 on: May 08, 2015, 03:01:46 pm »
I havent enslaved enough people nor wanted to since I noticed that the stats of vault storage dont change.

So the Vault storage doesn't increase when you get a slave.  What happens is that the amount of storage used, actually decreased.  The slave takes up -1.5 space.  So it acts like a small bit of free storage.  17 slaves = one outpost's worth of storage, or 50 to make up for a  whole vault.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 08, 2015, 03:06:42 pm »
So the Vault storage doesn't increase when you get a slave.  What happens is that the amount of storage used, actually decreased.  The slave takes up -1.5 space.  So it acts like a small bit of free storage.  17 slaves = one outpost's worth of storage, or 50 to make up for a  whole vault.

Aha, good catch. I was under the assumption that there was something I didnt understand in this. But still so far I think I found a better use than keeping many slaves around.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:08:54 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1243 on: May 08, 2015, 04:24:18 pm »
Another thing I noticed about the bony: If you jump down in the sides to the small ramps (for a lack of better word) below the hatch and the opposite you cant move left and right by directly giving commands to go there. The game treats it as wall or something. You can jump on the tile from above normally though just not directly give a go order to it. I think this was not the case before.

This has been fixed thanks to Hobbes' help, all the new ship tilesets will behave just like the old times with tomorrow's update.

As for the zeppelins, I use them a lot, they're way cheaper than new bases and in the early-mid game, I have a lot of unused hangar space anyway.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:26:10 pm by Dioxine »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 08, 2015, 05:23:09 pm »
This has been fixed thanks to Hobbes' help, all the new ship tilesets will behave just like the old times with tomorrow's update.

As for the zeppelins, I use them a lot, they're way cheaper than new bases and in the early-mid game, I have a lot of unused hangar space anyway.

Meh I am not building hangars I dont plan to use as fast as possible, too much maintenance. Then again its play style so to eachs its own :)

You think the morrows version might fix the deployment issue too as a side effect?