aliens

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OXCE Support / Re: Filtering hired soldiers at Recruitment??
« Last post by CrazedHarpooner on Today at 07:40:12 pm »
That's a waste of time. Why would a guy need to make a dedicated mod for a small change for himself? Just make a backup copy of \standard\xcom1\soldiers.rul file before editing it. It's even faster than searching the forums for existing mod.

Because it is smarter and safer. Editing the base files just creates a bad habit that eventually will cause issues. In addition, creating its own folder and metadata file adds very little extra time to "waste".
Why would anyone care about these numbers? They change nearly every battle anyway.

There are players, who equip soldiers based on their name. Because lore, immersion, role-playing, etc.

But there are also players (including myself), who don't equip soldiers by name, but by their position on the craft (i.e. their role on the team). For example: first two are scouts, next four are melee, next four are riflemen, next four are grenadiers and last two are psi.
For such kind of equipment, knowing which "position" you are equipping currently is useful.
But fwiw I never had any problem doing it this way.
He says it's not clear whether he's equipping the first soldier, the last soldier, the 13th soldier of 42... or Seven of Nine.

If you can understand this, good enough...

I don't. Why would anyone care about these numbers? They change nearly every battle anyway.

I kind of sympathize with this request, because if you do the soldier equipping only after the mission briefing (i.e. not already in the base), you may very well lose track which soldiers were in the first row or so and prepare accordingly (if you don't distinguish them in some other manner, for example by putting on a different armor).

First soldier is spawned at NW, the rest goes in succession to the east and then south...
This is so basic that I don't understand what else is needed, sorry. But like I said before, I don't really have to, so don't mind me.
I kind of sympathize with this request, because if you do the soldier equipping only after the mission briefing (i.e. not already in the base), you may very well lose track which soldiers were in the first row or so and prepare accordingly (if you don't distinguish them in some other manner, for example by putting on a different armor). And you can't go back and redo this like Meridian suggested. But if there is no space to make this available, there is no space, end of story.

I suppose this mostly affects vanilla. Many mods have so many special soldier types which you usually sort out as going out first (e.g. in XCF rats and dogs) and you can use those to navigate which soldiers were the first ones to deploy.
He says it's not clear whether he's equipping the first soldier, the last soldier, the 13th soldier of 42... or Seven of Nine.
Personally, I do find it a bit annoying that there's no way to figure out which (at a glance) soldier you're currently equipping.

Can you elaborate? Because I don't understand at all what you mean, and I suspect others may have the same issue.

I mean... you can clearly see whom you're equipping, name and face and all... What is missing?
« Last post by Yankes on Today at 06:24:57 pm »
https://mod.io/g/openxcom/m/hiring-a-trained-soldier
Reading this mod description show it give even more, you can hire better solder for more or but you can pay cheaper for weak solders.
Personally, I do find it a bit annoying that there's no way to figure out which (at a glance) soldier you're currently equipping. For instance, in xcomapoc, you always have a list of soldiers on the right, so you're able to easily select specific soldiers. Move a piece of armor from the 8th to the 5th. Move a grenade from the 3rd to the 7th, etc.

So what I do in OXCE is, I put a number at the end of a soldier name lol. Uber1, Uber2, Uber3... ::)
« Last post by ThumpieBunnyEve on Today at 06:17:10 pm »
I like Yankes answer. Because then others can have/use/tweak it. and the player can turn it on and off as desired easily without doing a bunch of nitty gritty file edits each time they just want it on or off. 

But i agree the cost going up to higher a soldier would be fine.  or, you know, lower the cost, but increase the monthly ask.

I 'higher' like 600 guys a month and immediately or not, fire 565 of them.  then put the remainder through psi school, and see if i should cull more.   its kinda silly!

maybe just pay these guys at the -end- of the month instead of for the right to look at their resume. X.X

also, as a mod, you'd at that point -know- you were altering your play through with it even if you kinda forget and come back to your save some 2 years later and are not sure why the heck you never get any low-end-soldiers.

But i don't know how to mod for xcom right now, so for the moment I'll use Delian's answer and keep a long ear out for if this does become a mod.
« Last post by Delian on Today at 06:06:44 pm »
create dedicated mod that change it
That's a waste of time. Why would a guy need to make a dedicated mod for a small change for himself? Just make a backup copy of \standard\xcom1\soldiers.rul file before editing it. It's even faster than searching the forums for existing mod.

And to answer the original question: No, there's no way to set hiring parameters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10