aliens

Author Topic: Github looks like a warzone  (Read 5944 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Github looks like a warzone
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »
I would recommend making sure everything is in shape and posting your stuff on the forum for everyone to figure out the kinks before rushing to the pull request, because lately I get dozens e-mails a day from GitHub for pull requests that turn out to have bugs and get other pull requests to fix them and then there's pull requests that depend on other pull requests or intersections between pull requests and... come on. I'm not going near that. :P

Offline d2uriel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Github looks like a warzone
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:36:55 pm »
Ugh, sorry for that. I didn't actually realize that it's gonna e-mail you every time I add something to my repo. I closed this PR and I hope it'll be good now. One again I apologize.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:01:57 pm »
I wasn't singling you out, just commenting on the whole PR craze lately, I've gotten 30 e-mails from Github this week alone (it notifies me when anything happens). :P You get your own repositories to mess around in, might as well take advantage of them, and only send the PR when you actually expect it to be ready to integrate. That's why we have these forums, so you can discuss things easily in the meantime. :)

Also, whenever something new pops up, I usually have some feedback or comment, but with all the PRs combining and intertwining, this gets a lot more complicated since I have no choice but to take it all in at once, as if there's an implicit "it's a PR so it must go in!". I'd appreciate it if everyone kept different things separate so I can review and comment everything individually.

Offline d2uriel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:03:54 pm »
I'll do my best to send PR's only for things that are fool-proof ;-).

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:26:26 am »
To be fair, half of that was my fault. I didn't actually realise that after I sent a pull request anything further I did in my git went into the request. I expected it to do a request for that current commit.

Then trying to undo it was a nightmare. I've got about 5 branches now  :-[

Offline radius75

• Colonel
  • I am the average PC user!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:34:57 am »
And my fault. I carried the some help in more comments. Too more comments in issues...   :-\

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 08:02:07 am »
Btw, i'm not git expert, but you may want to squas multiple commits into one (i you don't do it already), so it will be easier to review PR and merge it:

https://davidwalsh.name/squash-commits-git

Offline karvanit

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:16:20 pm »
I must also apologise, half those mails must be mine!
But, now that I found this forum, I'll just increase my post count, and let GitHub rest for a while.