Author Topic: Vegetation Earth map  (Read 53930 times)

Volutar

Re: Vegetation Earth map
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2012, 10:17:01 am »
Probably about 5 thousands will be enough and won't be any noticable.

About editing - I know what exactly needed to make it more comfortable. Drag of "multivertex" (which belongs to number of adjacent polys). Probably I will add it, working like usual dragging but with for example "ctrl" modifier (only for selected polys).
Added: Done. Multi-Vertex drag work with mouse (+ctrl) and with cursor keys. BTW, I've made it work at edge of wrapped polys (after dragging at one side - polys become modified at other). In 3d mode near-pole editing works fine with this multivertex drag. It doesn't work if no poly/vertex selected.

Next possible thing is... last state save/load (including background image path and offset), temporary editable globe.dat, and custom colors for terrain types and "ocean". In other words - various configs.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:59:08 am by Volutar »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »
hmmm... I tried some editing, and it appears that after I loaded a background image, the editor is no longer able to save anything... any idea what's going on there?

Volutar

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2012, 02:47:17 pm »
I don't know. I have "world.dat" saved pefectly no matter loaded background image or not. Aren't you have world.dat file locked?

New version coming, and it will get custom colors (from world.cfg config) and editor state saved on exit (2d/3d page, selected poly/vertex, checkboxes, background image, camera zoom and position) - already done.

Also I will try to get it working with globe.tmp  and saving globe.dat only by button. In order to clear temp changes - just delete globe.tmp, and it will be created from globe.dat on start. Also I'll try to get UNDO data saved (!!!) on exit. So you could be able to exit, restart, and undo last changes :) But this is next todo.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2012, 04:49:28 pm »
nope.

I can open world.dat, edit it, save it, no problem.
Then I can open world.dat, load a BG image, edit something, save it, and it just doesn't save. the file simply isn't written to disk.  ???

Volutar

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2012, 04:55:11 pm »
New version uploaded. UNDO isn't saved. Implemented config file with terrain color customization (it's possible to add more terrain colors, though it limited by window size). temporary world.tmp autosave on exit. executable become twice larger :) sorry.
moriarty, it would be more interactive if you visit irc.

Added: implemented undo save/restore.
Next todo: Implement poly order altering (move up/down) and "sliced" polys should be inserted, instead of added at the end. The only thing is - I don't know how to determine where I should insert new poly (in the list), considering insertion is possible when there is no poly selection (so "insert after selected" is illogical).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:15:57 am by Volutar »

Volutar

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2012, 11:13:42 am »
New version uploaded. Now it stores and restores undo buffer (up to 50 actions).

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2012, 02:19:09 pm »
Nice job.

Question: what's the purpose of "randomsites.dat"?

Volutar

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2012, 02:57:59 pm »
That's extracted hardcoded info for mission trajectories and cities.
I've described it here.
In short - it's a part of what SupSuper mentioned as "geoscape AI". 10(loc)x6(stage)x12(zone)=720 globe square areas (lat,lon,width,height), which used to generate new geolocation-waypoint of UFO trajectory.
Slightly "alternative" info about it is in here.

Volutar

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2012, 09:39:16 am »
Upcoming update:
Sliced polys are inserted where original poly was (keeping order in poly list).
New poly added where selected poly was last time (at focus rect in list).
Up/Down arrows change order of selected poly.
Optional "save undo" checkbox, for those who don't want to save relatively large undo file.
Minor bugfixes.

Uploaded
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:01:09 am by Volutar »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2012, 10:04:18 am »
very cool, Volutar!

there are two things I would like to see, if it is possible:

- ability to save the 2D grid as an image file

- ability to see the terrain in the "transparent" view with the background. perhaps make the lines a little bit thicker and draw them in the appropriate color?

that would be really nice :)

Volutar

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2012, 10:26:33 am »
1. 2d grid? with what resolution? isn't prn.scr not enough?
2. Isn't "shift" not enough? I hardly imagine how can I draw double two-sided lines...

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2012, 11:19:02 am »
printscreen is nice, but I have an earth image that isn't properly adjusted vertically. to make it fit better, I need some kind of reference, and low-res screenshot is not really enough... but that's just me, so I guess it's not really "needed" :)

I totally missed the shift-key part. that should be enough, of course. thank you! :)

Volutar

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2012, 11:53:48 am »
Okay. If image is too large - it can fail with rendering (I need to deeply change background rendering to get large images rendered).. Equator line should be right at the center. So if you have texture 1024x1024 you should check if equator is at y=512.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equirectangular_projection
You can even use map from this article, but beforethat you better to get rid of borders, because they will be treated as land and whole map wouldn't be in place.
this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Whole_world_-_land_and_oceans_12000.jpg
is too big :) I can't rener such large images. Though downscaled to 8000x4000 it worked as background well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:59:27 pm by Volutar »

Volutar

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2012, 09:09:04 am »
I've checked combined world.dat from here and found they're using alot of overlapped polys. They've chosen terrain=0 as ocean and added ocean layer under land layer (648 quads covering whole earth). Instead of rendering ocean as it was in original they've replaced it with "ocean" textured underlying land. Quite smart idea, though xcom doesn't have any optimization for overlapped graphics - it just draws everything over everything as it is. But who ever notice that with modern CPU power?.. 1315 polys total, 648 quads.. among those 648 there are lot of quads, which aren't visible, because totally covered by land polys... which means they've added this ocean layer with script, without any looking into what they've got.

My editor didn't work fine with overlapped layers (with LMB poly select it selected first poly in list under cursor), but now I made it select underlying polys by cycle, from most foreground to most background (when clicking in the same place with overlapped polys).

I'll upload new version later.Uploaded
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:07:35 am by Volutar »

Volutar

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2012, 01:09:42 pm »